1/32 Eurofighter

U

ugly 6

ok here we go

Its a Revell 1/32 Eurofighter .

There are many sub assemblies to get going first ,they all need to be assembled glued and sanded for a smooth finish,

the kit comes with an external engine and support frame this apparently can be placed in the fuselage ,but here it will be a separate project.

Which brings me to the first hurdle if you have the engine mounted externaly and opt for a closed in engine ports on the main plane there are not enough engine pieces to go round to make 3 engine ports .So I took the 4th engine and cut it up to make 12 outer pieces so i had the facility for 3 full engines.

The 2nd hurdle is the canopy for some reason Revell have made it with a raised edge running the full leangth on top of the canopy

it sure is ugly and none representational.

WHY? surely not.

it will take a lot of work and polishing to cut that off and end up with a smooth surface.View attachment 10731

ugly 6 out

View attachment 20730

P1080439.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good to see you up and running. I'm not much of a jet guy so I'll not be able to make any technical comment unless "bloody hell that is big" counts. I know Tony (Yakface ) makes a few jets. Good luck with the canopy,I've polished out a couple of flaws over the years and can't say it's one of my favourite jobs.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ugly (not very often i get to say that to someone!!) , great to see the build in progress,looks like a nice kit. The canopy seam is something a lot of the manufacturers seem to be doing lately,i think its something to do with the fact that the canopy is a bubble shape, ie. the sides curve back under towards the bottom, so a conventional mould couldnt do it,it has to be done in two halves hence the small seam. Progressive polishing with finer and finer wet and dry papers or as loads of people recommend ,the micro mesh cloths should get it out ok. Cant wait to see how the build goes (i know chris -gladiator111-will be watching closely too!) keep em coming , cheers tony

U

ugly 6

HUH!!! I just wrote a post and its vanished.

Try again

I have a1/72 airfix Eurofighte kit and it has a 2 piece canopy similiar in shape to the revel one that has no construction lines through it .All I know is that its going to be a lot of elbow grease.Wheres that grinder?

However moving on as I said there are a lot of sub assemblies to get together before the fuselage, the cockpit parts are a project on their own,the seat is very detailed and may warrent add ons such as eduard etched belts and buckles set. Although for the trumpeter version Im sure it will fit.

Even the consideration for a pilot,Does anyone know of a1/32,54mm modern british pilot seated?

There will be short delay now until I get all the sub assemblies made and trimmed and smoothed out .

Ugly 6 out

D

dubster72

One small point regarding fixing that canopy, (and you may already know this one) but stuff it with plasticene or blu-tac before you start which will prevent any nasty accidents that have 'cracking' noises & leave you with just shards of clear plastic in your hand!

Patrick

U

ugly 6

patrick

#actually I had not given that any thought

thanks for that

sounds like a really good idea

Genius

ugly 6 out

U

ugly 6

Slow progrees being made

thought i would try a overhead shot so far so good.

A difficult photo to take ,standing on a chair trying to fit it all in like this.

Dont reallly have the time to set up posy pics .I need build time.

It gives an idea of whats involved.

Still about 10 more sub assemblies to go.

There are also options to consider with regard the engines

There are options for the detailed engine to be in the plane with open panels and internal walls .

But Im sticking with closed in engines with the detailed engine as a separate model.

View attachment 10769

ugly 6 out

View attachment 20755

P1080443.jpg

D

dubster72

Sounds like you & Steve both have big 1/32 kits on your hands! There's a lot there & I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes along. You're doing good so far!

Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ugly (youll have to tell us your name !!) , id say the etched belts were a must, as everything will be seen under that big canopy,and they make such a difference.Great overhead shot, without the canards on it kind of looks like a slightly overweight mirage! Keep the pics coming. cheers tony

U

ugly 6

Its a consideration now that before the fuselage can be glued together that certain areas will have to painted such as wheel wells and some of the cockpit ,so thats where our attention is focussed on now.

Because of the detail in the cockpit i may well now forgo the inclusion of a pilot.

ugly 6 out

U

ugly 6

Hi

The status of the preliminary work on the wheel wells and such is just drying .All the painting and the weathering is complete and will be ready for the build to begin in ernest tomorrow,

View attachment 10927

This is actually one piece of moulded plastic,it makes you wonder how big the jigging tool is,

It may not be the biggest piece of molded plastic in kit from in the world but it sure is big.

So to move on the next stages will be fuselage,wings attached and then filling any areas that need it and then sanding having masked of the internal paintwork. And so on and so on also checking for fit of other externals as we go along.

What we do now will echo throughout the build.

ugly 6 out

View attachment 20874

P1080478.jpg

G

Gladiator111

Take a look at this Ugly. Master Details 1/32 USAF Jet Pilot though this guy is a US pilot. Have a look through the figures shown in Relish Models - Plastic Model Kits - Search results as well. Hope this helps out.

Chris

U

ugly 6

The Master Detail RAF pilot is on his way.Total price with postage £10.52.

Big up to Gladiator for that.

Slow progress being made on the euro build once the large lumps are attached it may be easier to asses the next stages.

The instructions call for the fuselage to be attached to the wings, in following this way there is no access to the inside.

However Ive noticed that the fit of the fuselage to the wings is by a distinct latch in the sides and provides a good fit surprisingly good fit although i have not cemented the front section of the fuselage so i can also click in the cockpit floor so for the mo Im going to attack things with the fuselage separate from the wings giving me more access all round and in theory will be an easy job just to click the fusalege to the wings , with a bit of after attention .Well thats the theory anyways and if the theory holds up it will aid the spraying and minimize the masking off.

For the moment its assesing if any filling is necessary and then subsequent sanding ,but it looks like that any filling will be absolutely minimal.

View attachment 11011View attachment 11012View attachment 11013View attachment 11014

a few pics to be going on with i find it a good policy to take pics as you go along because away from the build you can relax and study the pics for your own purpose on your pc screen .

The kit provides for a number of options it is my intention to have wheels down .fuel line in ,cockpit open,air brake down.Of course that may change as we see how it all goes together.

Ugly 6 out

View attachment 20942

View attachment 20943

View attachment 20944

View attachment 20945

P1080502.jpg

P1080499.jpg

P1080503.jpg

P1080504.jpg

G

Gladiator111

Wotcha Ugly

No worries on the pilot thing. I was trying to find a WW2 crew for my Swordfish when I found the website. Unfortunately they didn't have what I wanted so went for three really nice photo etched harnesses instead. Watching this build with great interest, somewhat jealous of your purchase but it's great to see how the build progresses, with a heads up of any problems, successes, scratch building or 3rd party purchases. Heh, you mention it's been slow going, mine's been even slower and whenever I do have a go, things keep breaking in my hands... :sad: oh well. Good luck with the Typhie!

Take care,

Chris

U

ugly 6

ok this fellow turned up this morning ,for the price the quality and the detail is top notch.

Thats a big up to Mastercasters

Only problem is fellow your plane just isnt ready

your just going to have to hang around some until we build it

View attachment 11344

ugly 6 out

View attachment 21044

P1080505.jpg

G

Gladiator111

Hi Ugly6

He looks like a jolly spiffing confident pilot? What what! ;)

I believe the resin kits can be super detailed, so hope your happy with the purchase, and I think he will look good against a Typhie background. Nice one mate.

Tally ho

Chris

U

ugly 6

The progress is slow as we chip away at each sub assembly

View attachment 11351

It is also a big lump of plastic to have in your hand as you try to find a hand hold whilst trying examine it

however

onward and upward

Gladiator yes Im really pleased with the man

ugly 6 out

View attachment 21051

P1080513.jpg