1:35 Austrian Building

S

sprayman

Well I must be going mad, Im going to attempt a Mini Art building....

I only have my 251 on the bench, so not alot to do while Im waiting for things to dry and the like, so thought I would attempt my first building paint job...

Plus you super Dio builders have made me want to attempt a building for some time...so hey here we go...

So first off been preparing the building for the paint job, so here is where its all at, and please all you dio builders dont be scared to shout out your tips and tricks..all help will be really appreciated.

Not happy how the joins in the windows meet, but a touch of green, when sanded should sort that out, not happy also how the brick seam line shows through, but the usual tricks didnt work, as its a cold cut from a vacuum pack...but im sure if I do another one, will learn more about these sort of mouldings.

Look forward to any comments or tips..thanks for reading

Ray

S

sprayman

Okay looking at the box art, it seems there is some lead flashing on the roof surround, so got my copper sheets out, good thing about these sheets is, you can temper them up a bit and give them a lead feel.

Now thats sorted,will get the primer on.

Ray

S

sprayman

Well I got the green sanded and got a coat of primer on it, and the seams in the windows, look quite well, so here is the primed building, the last pic shows it with the 251 Im working on, just to give you an idea of size.Still not happy with the brick seams, but, I hope when its painted it takes the eye off it a little.

There are some great details to add to this, Im well impressed with the windows,frame, handles and doors that are included in this, will get some pics of them up, when I start on them.

Thanks for reading guys,

Ray

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like you got the better of it.

With regard to cutting the parts from the sheet it's formed in is to cut the part out with a sharp point and from the side. Keeping the blade as flat as possible to the sheet of plastic rather than cutting down into the sheet..... If you know what I mean.

I can only agree that the window joint being in the centre of the window openings is a pain in the ....

Ian M

D

dubster72

I've only made one MiniArt building Ray, and like you, I felt the seam was too obvious. In the end I only used one side & filled it with plaster, reasoning that only the outside would be seen!

You're doing a very job on your one though, it's very tall isn't it!

Patrick

S

sprayman

Thanks for the info and tip Ian...thinking about it now, I know exactly what you mean....damn...but it goes in the memory bank for next time...

Thanks again mate.

Cheers Patrick, another good tip mate, cheers...taller than I thought...lol

P

phalinmegob

i usually just push the window frame into the middle and it hides most of the joint.

P

phalinmegob

another handy tip is to draw round the base of the piece with a felt tip pen before cutting it out, then (i have a sheet of sandpaper glued onto a chunk of mdf)sand it flat until then pen mark has just about disappeared to get rid of all the flat parts that should not be there. after reading what i just typed i am not sure it makes sense but if you look at the third picture on your cutting board just above the 30 and 40 mark you will understand what i mean. when you cut out the parts from the vac form sheet,you have to effectivly sand away the thickness of the vac form sheet from the bottom of the piece. still not sure that makes sense,but i know what i mean :smiling3:

Last edited:
C

CDW

You seem to be on top of this Ray, going about it the right way it seems too (from what i've heard) by remodeling most of the kit :smiling3:

Was talking to a couple of serious diorama modelers in the local shop and they said that the time it takes to remodel seams, patch up areas, remove flash etc on these miniart kits ... you may have well have just scratch built the thing :smiling3:

They said they're ok to just paint up for war gaming but if you want anything like realism then there's just too much work.

I'd take it as a bit of a challenge and see what i could do with it ..... seems you're doing the same thing :smiling3: :smiling3:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looking real good ray they are a pain to do as I've done one and I got though a load of filler but when you get done it will be all worth it when the paints on they look quality. Your doing a grand job keep it up

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good so far Ray, and top marks for taking on one of these Miniart buildings, from what I have read they are a bit of a challenge, to say the least......

I'm sure you will tame it though!

Cheers,

Ron

T

tommy1drop

Hi Ray

Looking good buddy, love the lead idea, going to keep an eye on this build mate.

Tom

K

Kieran

looking forward to see how this turns out.

i like the scale diffrence you showed with the halftrack and building

S

sprayman

Many thanks for taking the time to read this thread, and thanks for the tips and support.....need to get a bit more done on the 251, then need to make a start at getting some paint on the building, and try and figure out how to get the lead effect painted....lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work on the building so far ray, really liking the copper sheet idea- excellent! When i first saw the pics i thought the '251' you were working on was the radio , if you hadnt guessed ,i dont know much about armour!!!! cheers tony

S

sprayman

Many thanks Tony...some times I forget not everyone knows German armour.....lol

Well been working on the lead effect for the roof, and after a few experiments, this is the one I feel looks more like lead...as my other efforts, just made it look like brushed steel.

When I get to the weathering stage, I hope to give it that tarnished and old lead effect.

Thanks for reading and any input is very welcome.

Ray

First Name
Drew
That's looking great, Ray.

I had an attempt at a Miniart kit just over a year ago when I'd only just come back to the fold! Since then I've learned more and more from watching builds like this and have picked up a few tips.

I have a Miniart building currently finding its way to me (1/35 North African Building) to add to the future projects list.

Anyway, I'm watching this one with interest but it's looking great so far.

Drew

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Ray the miniart buildings look great when finished even if they are a bit fiddley to do. You seem to have got the better of this one