1:35 Revell Series 3 Landy. Farmtastic!

M

-Matt-

Exactly as it says on the tin. Not the box, 'cause that has it labelled as a military one.

I posted a while back about trying to find a civvy Series 2A Land Rover in 1:24.

So naturally I've purchased a military S3 in 1:35 because the above doesn't seem to exist.

This is going to be a farmery pickup, with diorama in a Yorkshire Dales scene. Most of which I'm having to build myself because the civilian parts don't exist. Luckily this model comes with some bits on the sprues that are greyed out in the instructions, so I can use those. I will have to make a roof from scratch though as the kit comes with a canvas top and I'm wanting a pickup.

So far there's the overview, and a close up of the bonnet. I've filed the spare mounting studs down and filled them in.

OutofBox.jpg

BonnetCloseup.jpg

Painted the chassis in one colour, assembled wheels

ChassisPainted.jpg

WheelsBoard.jpg

Weathered up the chassis, more work to do on that:

MudTest.jpg

And I've painted the body parts. What can't be seen here is that many of the parts have had a silver painted on most of the edges, coated over with Humbrol Matt Cote, then grey, then blue, and then a thin white wash over it to subdue the blue and create a faded colour. On assembley I'll be using some thinners on the edges to bring the silver through and emulate chipped and worn paintLightBlueOnSprue.jpg

Thanks for reading

-Matt-

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start,on this one,Matt,real like the look of the chassis,very well done, ;)

T

tommy1drop

Nice start Matt, looking forward to seeing how this build turns out;)

Last edited:
M

Mooks

great idea for a subject. Looking forward to watching this progress. Have fun with it.

P

Polux

I'm a Land Rover Fanatic!!!

So I will keep an eye on this thread ;)

Nice start!

M

-Matt-

Thank you for your kind replies. I tend to do weekly updates as I spend about half an hour or so after work :smiling3:

-Matt-

First Name
Marc
"Onassembley I'll be using some thinnerson the edges to bring the silver throughand emulate chipped and worn paint"

Good idea, although be careful. If your silver paint is the same type of paint as the thinners your using your going to just smudge all the layers together and wipe back to plastic. Id use perhaps a cellulose silver base as its impervious to enamel thinners.

If this is the case, I'd use coarse sandpaper, a file and gently physically scratch or chip the outer layers off leaving behind the silver paint it would give a much more realistic look as you are actually chipping and scratching the surface.

Another way would be to dig the surface or edges with a knife and taking a toothpick apply silver into the the area.

Looks good though. Will be following

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Robert
I've always said to the wife I wanted a LWB Landrover ( I'll prob never get one) this looks really god up to now and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this one

I'll be watching

Regards

Robert

M

-Matt-

Right late update, had a chance to do a bit here and there, even less of a chance to sit down and write a post :P

So, seats. Firstly I've put down a beigey colour like so:

SeatsStart.jpg

Next, PVA, paint and water mixed up, then common toilet paper soaked with it, this was perhaps the wrong way round, live and learn and all that

SeatsHalfDone.jpg

Trimmed off:

SeatsNearDone.jpg

The idea here was to emulate the wrinkled worn effect of the seats, with patches to show the stuffing coming through. I'm not sure how successful this has been.

Next few shots are pretty much the same. Though I do now have the bed on and in place.RearNoBed.jpgFrontNoWing.jpg

Thanks for looking :smiling3:

-Matt-

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice going on this one so far Matt,well done with the mud on the chassis,good

work on the seats as well,very nice progress, :smiling3:

A

Ace

I must remember that seats technique. Loved Land Rovers since the film Born Free came out!

M

-Matt-

Wow, last post June 2nd, last of mine being May :o

Anyway, I've compiled some of the pictures in that time, I tend to do a little after work, weekends are for doing other things, and with the recent good weather a time for being outside a lot :D

Anyway, I've made the roof, from scratch as well, this is now painted although it's not shown in the pics

RoofInProgress.jpgRoofOnUnPaint.jpg

I then started on the rear window of the cab, there's some tabs that appear on this drawing that were supposed to fold in and be glued up for support, but I made 3 attempts at bending this and the last one was made by holding its shape with wire so I gave up on the tabs.

CabDrawing.jpg

MarkingOutRearCab.jpg

RearCabWires.jpg

RearCabPegs.jpg

Thanks for looking :smiling3:

-Matt-

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks bloody good that Matt

Lee :smiling3:

B

Builder

Great choice of colour there Matt, its refreshing to see a military kit converted to a more civilian type vehicle. 

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good job of putting a lid on it. 
I can't understand why the Landy has not been kitted more. It's a classic that is loved by as many, Was the GO TO 4x4 for decades and used world wide...