1/350 bismark diorama

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I normally build 1/35 armour but for a change I've had a go at the Bismark.

It is an Academy 1/350 kit and is a full hull build.

After I completed the model I decided it would look better as a diorama. I was at first going to cut the model along the waterline but thought better of it so instead I cut the base board around the hull and placed the model in the hole!!

The Bismark has always been a favourite of mine since Kenneth Moore 'sank' her in the film Sink The Bismark, which I saw at the flicks in 19 canteen!!

I hope you like the pictures and i would welcome any comments...It is my first go at ships so be kind and gentle please.........

:praying:

Ron

View attachment 19793

View attachment 19794

View attachment 19795

View attachment 19796

View attachment 19797

View attachment 19798

View attachment 19799

View attachment 19800

View attachment 19801

View attachment 19802

bismark 018.jpg

bismark 005.jpg

bismark 011.jpg

bismark 015.jpg

bismark 016.jpg

bismark 020.jpg

bismark 025.jpg

bismark 028.jpg

bismark 012.jpg

bismark 006.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for that John. It made a refreshing change, but VERY fiddly despite the large scale (28" x 4", old money!)

It is ominously quiet on the armour front....I suspect a Blitz Krieg is on the way, tin hats on everyone!!!!

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ron, fantastic looking job and wicked fjord dio, well done.BUT ...PLEASE stop showing me all these great dios ,its making me want to do a ship now!!! its costing me a fortune! Seriously though its great to see the bismarck, its about the only ship i made when i was a kid(apart from the airfix 1/72 vosper mtb)it was the hasegawa 1/350 one.It looks like ill be adding a ship to the stash soon and ive not even got the hang of armour yet!!!Heres to the next one,ron (whatever it is!) cheers tony :grinball2:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Thanks for that John. It made a refreshing change, but VERY fiddly despite the large scale (28" x 4", old money!)It is ominously quiet on the armour front....I suspect a Blitz Krieg is on the way, tin hats on everyone!!!!

Ron
Ohhhh yes Ron, Blitz Krieg is definitely on the cards mate lol. In the past two weeks i have spent about £90 on models and i have three vehicles on the go for one dio, all i'm going to say is Tunisia & Bovington.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Ohhhh yes Ron, Blitz Krieg is definitely on the cards mate lol. In the past two weeks i have spent about £90 on models and i have three vehicles on the go for one dio, all i'm going to say is Tunisia & Bovington.Have fun, John
Aha, gotcha John. It was stopped dead in it's tracks in Tunisia..........pardon the pun.

Look forward to seeing the ***** soon !!

Ron

S

Sky Raider

Fantastic work as usual Ron. Very impressive i must say. Well done on another fantastic project.

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Fantastic work as usual Ron. Very impressive i must say. Well done on another fantastic project.Andy
Thanks Andy, I enjoyed the change from armour and now I am refreshed!!

I guess I could have done a bit more detail on the ship such as props on the arrado sea plane but such things were too small and fiddly.

I did some rudimentary rigging but soon got fed up with that too, what a waste of space, eh?

Although I havn't posted on your B-25 thread lately, I am following every episode and it really is impressive. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Ron

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Ron for following my thread. I know what you mean about the fine details, i often have the same view, but think about it mate, once you have done it it will make all the difference and your pride would be amplified.

Thanks again

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
hi ron, fantastic looking job and wicked fjord dio, well done.BUT ...PLEASE stop showing me all these great dios ,its making me want to do a ship now!!! its costing me a fortune! Seriously though its great to see the bismarck, its about the only ship i made when i was a kid(apart from the airfix 1/72 vosper mtb)it was the hasegawa 1/350 one.It looks like ill be adding a ship to the stash soon and ive not even got the hang of armour yet!!!Heres to the next one,ron (whatever it is!) cheers tony :grinball2:
Thanks for the kind comments Tony.

Your comments about building the Bismark when you were young brought back a nice memory for me. I too built a model of her in the early 60s when I was in my early teens. (Airfix, as there were no other makes around then) There wasn't much else to do either as the Beatles and the Stones were still only a rumour!

Anyway, a few months after I built it my dad suggested we shoot it to bits. So I went up to a bedroom window armed with a .22 airgun + scope and my dad stood by the model with an 8mm cine camera and he filmed Bismark being destroyed by some very accurate shooting from a BSA Airsporter. I still have the film to this day.

Off thread I know, but what the heck!!

:wheelchai Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thanks Ron for following my thread. I know what you mean about the fine details, i often have the same view, but think about it mate, once you have done it it will make all the difference and your pride would be amplified.Thanks again

Andy
You are quite right in your comments...Trouble is it's not my pride that needs amplifying, it's my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:idea:

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks for the kind comments Tony.Your comments about building the Bismark when you were young brought back a nice memory for me. I too built a model of her in the early 60s when I was in my early teens. (Airfix, as there were no other makes around then) There wasn't much else to do either as the Beatles and the Stones were still only a rumour!

Anyway, a few months after I built it my dad suggested we shoot it to bits. So I went up to a bedroom window armed with a .22 airgun + scope and my dad stood by the model with an 8mm cine camera and he filmed Bismark being destroyed by some very accurate shooting from a BSA Airsporter. I still have the film to this day.

Off thread I know, but what the heck!!

:wheelchai Ron
hi ron, continuing off thread (sorry!) your destruction of the bismarck by .22 BSA is a bit like the actual demise of this big ship ,being done for by comparitively tiny firepower,in this case swordfish biplane torpedo bombers jamming the rudder with a direct hit,allowing the shadowing british ships to finish her off.The things we used to do,eh! We once cobbled together a homemade version of the airfix flight deck game,in our garage,with strings, a plank, and a spade for the joystick.After a few heavy deck landings sheared off the undercarriage,the models were usually shot at with a catapult till they yeilded,we certainly got our moneys worth out of em didnt we!!! cheers tony:gun2:

N

noble

Iam not into ships but you've done it again Ron this looks superb i love it.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Iam not into ships but you've done it again Ron this looks superb i love it.scott
Thanks for that Scott. I'm not either. I just thought I would have a go as a change from armour. It was interesting, but very fiddly despite being 28" long.

Cheers

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
To my Buddies, I have just noticed I have 5 stars for this diorama.....WOW!!!

I don't know who voted it so, but I would like to express my humble thanks to whoever thought it good enough for 'The big five.'

:kiss:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Very impressive!
Thank you zhang for posting on my thread, it's nice to see the ship again. Also good to have a member posting from the Far East.

My Bismark is not a patch on the ones recently built here, my eyes are just not up to doing the full rigging, so I just did a bit until I could do no more!

Thank you,

Ron

C

cryton 5

hi nice work skipper ,i myself went down the road bismarck history battle , nice diorama setting

look forward too next project cry !!.

B

Bunkerbarge

I'm a geat fan of dioramas and this is a really good one. You don't see many ships so it is particularly good to see not only a great one with the Bismarck but also a historically correct one showing the research has all been done. I really like the fact that the white has been left off the camoflage, as if it is in the process of being painted and of course it was painted on while she was in the Fjord.

Brilliant job, great model and one you should be proud off.

C

CDW

That's if this diorama still exists Richard, you know what Ron's like for disassembling dioramas to make another one ....... the threads four years old :smiling3: :smiling3: