1/350 HMS Dreadnought

NotesNut

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
After a lot of years away from modelling I have picked up the bug again.

Looking around here I realise that I am definitely in the noob section, but hey, I can only get better (maybe).
Here is the progress so far.

As I travel up and down to the Ayrshire Scale Model Group, the torpedo booms are slowly giving up the ghost, so I have removed them for the time being.

If anyone has a set of 1/350 ww2 British BB propellers though, I would be interested in greasing your palm for them....lost in action unfortunately

1000003722.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Graeme! That's coming on very nicely already!

ATB.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Graeme,
welcome to the forum! As you may see, the forum covers all genres of modelmaking, and the members have a wide range of experience & knowledge. So, any questions will certainly attract responses ( and some of them may even be useful! ).
What year are you building the Dreadnought as representing? The Torpedo booms & nets had been removed by 1916.................. odd thing on most models is that the boons are represented, and even the net 'shelf', but I haven't seen any with the nets themselves

Dave

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Graeme,
Welcome to the mad house you have found a great bunch of modellers who are always ready to help.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome to a great forum Graeme.
Looks like you're off to a fine start on this very significant ship.

NotesNut

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Graeme,
welcome to the forum! As you may see, the forum covers all genres of modelmaking, and the members have a wide range of experience & knowledge. So, any questions will certainly attract responses ( and some of them may even be useful! ).
What year are you building the Dreadnought as representing? The Torpedo booms & nets had been removed by 1916.................. odd thing on most models is that the boons are represented, and even the net 'shelf', but I haven't seen any with the nets themselves

Dave
Hi Dave,

This is something I have only just discovered......building to a specific year, so I am going with the 1906 and hoping the kit sufficiently represents that.

As I take the ship with me to the local weekly meet the booms are a real pain and I will now add them at the end.

Time to get a 'transport box' me thinks.

NotesNut

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
1000003775.jpg1000003774.jpg1000003773.jpg

Annoyed at some basic mistakes but as its the 2nd one in 40 years I will keep reminding myself of that.

A lot has changed over the years and the add-ons (wooden decks, etc) look amazing. May have to try some of that on the next build so I think I would like to try a waterline model next and asked Santa for the KGV so I can try.

Graeme

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
View attachment 494559View attachment 494560View attachment 494561

Annoyed at some basic mistakes but as its the 2nd one in 40 years I will keep reminding myself of that.

A lot has changed over the years and the add-ons (wooden decks, etc) look amazing. May have to try some of that on the next build so I think I would like to try a waterline model next and asked Santa for the KGV so I can try.

Graeme
I generally prefer waterline ship models - it's what you actually see of a ship at sea. I cut the lower hull off.and mount it on a sea base ( usually MDF & DAS air-drying clay ). It takes a bit of experimenting, but satisfying when you finish. I would try a 1/700 Tamiya Rodney, Nelson or KGV to work out the sea base ( models are cheap, already waterlined & go together well ), then you can move up to more expensive models. The Dreadnought you have is probably the Revell reboxing of the Zvezda model. There are plenty of 1/350 ship models around, Revell, Tamiya, ICM, HobbyBoss. Trumpeter, Zvezda being the main makers. I've a thing for pre-dreadnoughts & late 1800s ironclads, which are a bit scarcer - I'm 3D printng those that I can, searching the 'net for these obscure models - I've only been doing this since January, it's a steep learning curve, not for the impatient, but absorbing!
Dave

NotesNut

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Well it's been slow progress and there have been plenty of mistakes. It's reached the point now where I am having to fabricate small parts as the originals have pinged off the tweezers.

For a 2nd model in 30+ years, I am happy. Will try to get it completed this year and then move onto a WW2 Valentine tank.
1000004105.jpg1000004106.jpg1000004107.jpg