1/48 Boulton-Paul Defiant

First Name
Dave
Next up on my work bench is this kit.I tried building one of these when it was released around 20 years ago.But it was my first attempt at a multi media kit and I never finished it.Classic Airframes ceased production some years ago.But I bought this kit at my local model club last year.Ive got a bit of experience with resin,PE and vacform parts now.And I've a lot more patience than the first time I tried to build this kit.So here goes...

The plastic parts don't have any locating pins and the fit of some isn't great.So the first job was to sand the fuselage halves on a flat surface and back the holes for the engine exhausts with plastic card.Now there's something to glue the exhausts to!.I then glued the fuselage halves together and applied lots of filler (Just for you Joe!).

First Name
Dave
Fuselage sanded and second round of filler applied.Instrument panel and cockpit assembled.The panel is a PE part backed with an instrument film.I painted the back of the film white so the instrument detail will show up.Resin cockpit parts superglued together and painted.Ive folded the PE seat to shape and started to fit the seat belts.The shoulder straps seem too long.I think they should attach to a hole in the armour plate that fits behind and above the seat.Not through the seat back as the instructions show.I will have to research that.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Whoa! those sprue shots are a bit scary, this is what its like to do an Amodel kit dave! I'm watching this from behind the sofa its scaring me that much! , tony

A

AlasdairGF

Oh dear... I've a long-term plan for a 1/48 Bristol Blenheim, and Classic Airframes is the only one who's ever done one as far as I can tell. Gulp. Seems like they're quite a challenge! Best of luck, sure you'll beat it into shape sharpish.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I then glued the fuselage halves together and applied lots of filler (Just for you Joe!).
Nice choice Dave, taking the plunge, good man. Shares in a filler business anyone? :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Oh dear... I've a long-term plan for a 1/48 Bristol Blenheim, and Classic Airframes is the only one who's ever done one as far as I can tell. Gulp. Seems like they're quite a challenge! Best of luck, sure you'll beat it into shape sharpish.
This ones not bad and seems quite straight forward.The Classic Airframes Anson I built a while ago was a real challenge.I would think the Blenheim would be a difficult build as well,if you can find one.I saw one going for £75 year before last at Telford.Too expensive I thought ,so didn't buy it.

A

AlasdairGF

\ said:
This ones not bad and seems quite straight forward.The Classic Airframes Anson I built a while ago was a real challenge.I would think the Blenheim would be a difficult build as well,if you can find one.I saw one going for £75 year before last at Telford.Too expensive I thought ,so didn't buy it.
Yep, going to have to save up for it... have seen a few, all around that price. Way more than I'm prepared to spend on a model kit, even if it was what my grandpa flew!

I saw your Anson thread, def something I'll use in future. Learned quite a bit from it (e.g. using plastic tabs cut from card where you don't have locator pins, etc - genius). In a way I hope this build is a real cow for you so that I can see how you overcome more problems ;) Not really, obviously. Well a little!!!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Despite the obvious kit issues, I think this looks like it could be a pretty good rendition of the Defiant. The shape looks right.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
im with the others behind the couch,:confused: you should have a bravery award, for this one ,:oops:

besides all that, a nice start, and do like the PE,and resin parts:rolleyes:

S

snapper41

You're a brave man Dave! But seriously; a CA kit is a challenge, but nothing the experienced modeller can't handle. I've made their Meteor mk8 and it wasn't that bad. Having said that, I also have their DH Hornet to do, but might just wait to see what Trumpeter's new offering is like first!

1275GT

Well, all these people behind the sofa just leaves more room for me on it !!! This looks fun, I'll shall be watching with interest while dunking bourbons in my mug of rosy lee..... :smiling3:

Oh and that mat is far too clean, Dave ;)

Cheers, Neil

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Well, all these people behind the sofa just leaves more room for me on it !!! This looks fun, I'll shall be watching with interest while dunking bourbons in my mug of rosy lee..... :smiling3: Oh and that mat is far too clean, Dave ;)

Cheers, Neil
That's a new mat my wife bought me for Xmas.She got it to fit the Humbrol Workstation my son in law gave me.Unfortunately the workstation is too small for anything except maybe figure painting.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
You're a brave man Dave! But seriously; a CA kit is a challenge, but nothing the experienced modeller can't handle. I've made their Meteor mk8 and it wasn't that bad. Having said that, I also have their DH Hornet to do, but might just wait to see what Trumpeter's new offering is like first!
This kit is no worse than old Airfix stuff.The trickiest bit so far has been trying to mask the vacform canopy.There are two canopies and turrets in the box.So I can afford to mess one up.Later issues of this kit have an injection moulded canopy.But the turret in that one is moulded in two halves.So I'd rather have this one.

First Name
Dave
Glued both top halves to the bottom wing.Some would glue the bottom wing to the fuselage first.Then add the top halves to get a good wing to fuselage joint.But I wanted to make sure the L/ E landing light cut outs were lined up properly.In going to have to fill the wing joins anyway as a dry run shows them to be a poor fit.

First mistake of the build.In my excitement at the model progressing so well,I superglued the resin cockpit assembly into the fuselage.Then I noticed I'd forgotten to cut the pouring block of the bottom of the cockpit floor.This now fouls on the top of the gear bay and the wing won't fit!.So last night I got the motor tool out,reached for my mask and Snap!.The strap on my mask broke!.No way was I about to sand resin without a mask.So this morning I bought a new mask.Will sand the model in the shed later today.

First Name
Dave
I'm supposed to be decorating the house.But the wife's at work so I thought I'd do a bit more to the kit.Ive sanded the resin blo ck off the underside of the cockpit and the wing fits now.Not a bad fit either for a limited run kit.Just needs glueing on,filling and sanding now.the kit gives you some PE mesh for the underwing radiator.But nothing for the intake (oil cooler ?) under the nose .So I need to sort that before I glue the wing on.

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would love a BP Defiant in 1/32 but from a major manufacturer, not a short-run kit. You are doing a great job there Dave with all those challenges, I really look forward to seeing the result.