1:72 Airfix Fairey Swordfish Floatplane.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well it took a while to get this one finished. Not the kits fault, just other things getting in the way.

The kit is great. As I've said before (and some others) these new tool Airfix do seem good value in the detail : price ratio.

I was a bit concerned about finishing the model in a silver / grey scheme, basically it's a bit boring. But I think in this case, there is so much going on with bits sticking out here and there the dull colours don't affect it too much.

I did use some Eduard PE, it was good stuff, but 1:72 scale gun sights - Eduard do give you spares with good reason, they are tiny !

Weathering kept to a minimum (really difficult for me) based on the idea that a sea plane would surely be washed down frequently.

View attachment 78037

View attachment 78038

View attachment 78039

View attachment 78040

View attachment 78041

View attachment 78042

View attachment 78043

View attachment 78044

View attachment 78045

Any questions, comments and suggestions always welcome.

Colin M..

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

G

Graham D

Looks good, weathering is nice and subtle and does not distract from the overall look of the plane.

P

Polux

Don't know where to start....

The general colour,I think, is superb...and the outdoor photos show better this effect.

The subtle weathering is perfect on his simplicity, and the work do it with the cables is amazing.

Absolutely a great model.

Polux

B

Bari

Lovely build, I have followed this one with interest as i have the wheeled version staring at me from the shelf. Really impressed with the rigging method, gives me something to aim for.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Outstanding work in 1/72, rigging is perfect (Something I know I would severely struggle at, so kudos for that), lovely subtle weathering and an all round superb model Colin.

Si :smiling3:

J

John Huggins

Outstandinig build Colin, love the weathering on this one & the rigging is first class.

John

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks gentlemen for having a look. Barry, I can't recommend the method I used. It causes quite a problem when dealing with the seam where the two halves of the bottom wing meet. I would suggest just doing the blind hole method for the bottom wings.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Colin. That is the dog dangly bits. Superb rigging and that paint work pops well with the red/blue of the markings.

Nice one.

Ian M

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow Colin,Absolutely a great model.lov the rigging and weathering cannot add more than whats been said top job

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Oh my lord!

That is one helluva 1/72 Stringbag!!!!

Congrats on a superb little Swordfish.

Great build for sure

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb job Colin matey, it looks amazing. I think its a nice change to see one in the silver , to quote Will I Am it looks really "dope" (sorry, I'll get me coat) The rigging is excellent and for me the weathering and staining is spot on . Great build , cheers tony