1/72 German Airbase Project

B

Builder

Hi all,

I will be building a modern German Airbase with a few European aircraft as well. I have decided to do this for a few reasons.

1. I have quite a few 1/72 kits so try to want reasons to build them and clear them from my stash.
  2. I noticed many of them had German schemes, so I put them together and walaa... I had an idea
  3. I found some kits with European schemes that are close to Germany and so could potentially sit on a German airbase (as visitors or on joint exercise)

The Plan

To build a display base for German schemed and some European schemed 1/72 Kits. Now this project will stretch into next year Most of the kits will actually be built as part of GB's and then sit on this airbase at completion. This base will have both air based and land based elements.

I would like to iterate - the goal of this project is not accuracy but to find a home / display base for all these kits.

The Set of Kits

Here is the current set of kits I have which will be built as part of the base.

20160730_145609_RichtoneHDR_zpsyrgky4jx.jpg

Here are the kits I plan to add

hsgs1876box-lg.jpg

I might also potentially add further kits, particularly 1/72 trucks or cars. I have not yet decided.

Build Schemes and probable build dates

Mig 21

These are the current build schemes either offered in the kit or with the use of spare decals that I will decide to build

First up is the MIG 21 which will be built as part of the Mig 21 SIG so starting this week

Here is the scheme I will try to build - with spare decals from a 1/72 Hind I just built, and also the 1/72 Leopard kit.

FUCHS

The FUCHS will be built either in the Tracked Armour GB running now or in the Military Ambulance GB next year in this scheme:

Phantom F-4

The Phantom will be built in next years Ricks Phantom GB in the German scheme provided in the kit very similar to one below

F-16

The f-16 will a actually be built using an old Tamiya Scheme using spare decals from Tamiyas 1/72 General Dynamics F-16 kit,in a French / Belgium prototype scheme. Even though the Academy kit decals are for a US scheme. This will be built in next years Cold War GB

Leopard Tank

Leopard tanks will be built as shown on box art, will be built in next years Modern Armour GB

Super Ettentard

Super ettentard will also be built with box art scheme dont know when this will be built, probably near the end of the project

Eurofighter

The Euro Fighter scheme is well known - as there are no GBs for modern jets I dont have a time on when this will be built, probably last.

rj714w888cbnmoitxj19.jpg

Possible additions

I have an airfix sabre with the option of a Yugoslavian airforce scheme and a US scheme so I might build it in the Yougoslav scheme and put it on this, will probably decide much later.

I hope you all like my idea. All comments welcome

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you want to get away from the German theme a bit, you could do it as an Airshow base, that way you could have anything from anywhere on it. 
Then you are open to all kinds of possible builds.....old, modern, military or civilian...
Just a thought!

B

Builder

If you want to get away from the German theme a bit, you could do it as an Airshow base, that way you could have anything from anywhere on it. 
Then you are open to all kinds of possible builds.....old, modern, military or civilian...
Just a thought!

Thanks Ian, thats a great idea, but I will be building tanks and possibly artillery in the future so dont know if an airshow base would be suitable. 

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will be building tanks and possibly artillery in the future so dont know if an airshow base would be suitable.

You might be right there. lol. Only would they belong on an airbase..... a bit of AA yes but heavy armour and artillery...?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You could build it as a Cold War base like RAF Gatow, the DDR had an armoured unit stationed right across the road from the camp.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
the main problem i can think of with doing an airbase is the time line

Germany phased out RF-4 in mid 90s and F-4 around 2012 or 13

pretty sure Germany didnt use the MiG 21 for long after unification so thats early-mid 90s

Yugoslavia only operated F86 til early 70s