1/72 MH-53e

T

T. van Vuuren

I want to do a helo for the MOY next year so I got this.

Italeri 1/72 MH-53e sea dragon.

I will be attempting to sctatchbuild the folded rotors and do allot of weathering on it.

Theuns

DSC00208.JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

Yea, this is an interesting subject. I do love helos....way more "feel" than a fixed wing aerie  ;)

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

The problem with this kit is that the cabin detail basically is only a floor and some formers in the rear boom. There is no roof of formers in the front section so I have to make it all from scratch.
I cut strips of styrene and started glueing them the the fuse side. The inadequite rear detail I had to file away and will have to do like the rest of the fuse. Then I will have to somehoe figure out how to shape anbd make the roof lining.
This is the effect I want but will have to take some artistic licence with some of the detail.
Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Ian. I have to add allot of detail as I plan to have the door and ramp open and the kit has basically no detail, not even a roof :sad:

I plan to have a folded main rotor and maybe a tail aswell, this will all have to be modified from the standard kit.

Theuns

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ian. I have to add allot of detail as I plan to have the door and ramp open and the kit has basically no detail, not even a roof :sad:

I plan to have a folded main rotor and maybe a tail aswell, this will all have to be modified from the standard kit.

Theuns

It will be interesting to see how you tackle that for future reference Theuns.

T

T. van Vuuren

I had to build the seats for the cabin...it was just to bare to my liking. I heat formed some lastic sheet to from te bottom seats and glued them to the flat back rests. I will still make the posts that hold them up. The rear seats will be in the stowed up position. Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I had a little time so I did some work on the 53.The effect looks quite rough now, but the cabin will be like a dark cave so I am not to worried about it.I still have allot of stuff to build for the cabin, the roof section is going to be vert tricky as I can nly do it once the fuse is joined and access will be limited... Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Man the fit on thos kit is lacking! I wonder why they didn't just have 2 fuse halves instead of the 3 they have here.

I managed to wrangle the fuse together but I will have to do allot of filling and sanding on the bottom. Lucky for me I got a new re-scribing river tool so it should be OK.

I am starting to think my odea of folding the rotor and the tail was to optimistic for this kit, I am not sure all that work will add to the overall improvement of the final result. Maybe just build it and move on.

Theuns

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb detailing Theus, looking good so far, that bottom area does look ropy-fit wise-I know you will crack it.

T

T. van Vuuren

I tried to simulate the destinctive oil canning on the back of the fuselage but it was a spectacular failure  :sad:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

on the real one the area just bejind the ramp pivot tends to have the skin wrinkle as the tail wants to droop down.

T

T. van Vuuren

Sikorsky_MH-53_Sea_Dragon-02-1024.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

I have had nothing bad a bad time building this model, after countless tries to get the paint fixed I finally snapped and just chucked it in the bit.....my sanity is worth more than this model :smiling:

Theuns