1:72 S-Models Light Tank M3A3 to Stuart Recce

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Since Andrew @adt70hk recently bought some S-Models M3A3s and I mentioned I built some of those as turretless Stuart Recces some years ago, here’s a quick how-to :smiling3:

I used this kit:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_49f0.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_49f1.jpg

Since the Stuart Recce lacked a turret, I had to build an interior, which just took a few bits of plastic card and some spare figures from Plastic Soldier Company (I think they’re from their M5 halftrack, sawed down to fit):

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_49f5.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_49f4.jpg

Really, its just a firewall made from some plastic card to fit inside the hull, a drive shaft tunnel from some more plastic card, a transmission from a block of resin offcuts — which I did that way because I happened to have some of about the right size, you could easily do this from some more plastic too — and some boxes on the floor and in the sponsons. Since you’ll only see this through a small turret opening, you don’t really need more to give a good impression of there being a full interior.

After painting the inside and glueing the hull top to the bottom, I built a stowage bin on the hull rear and added some British details to the turret:

VL7lD74aRZmac+gooEIpiA_thumb_4a14.jpgav8Lb9RTRvKt+sA4cKfKyw_thumb_4a16.jpg

Since the turrets are removable, I can use the vehicle as either a Recce or a standard Stuart V. Technically, the Recce version should probably have some armour plate around the turret ring and a couple of machine guns, but this works for me :smiling3:

Here’s the full four I made:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a18.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jakko

Thanks for sharing, as you say you don't need much to give the impression of an interior.

I should even some of PSC M5 half-track infantry in the spares box, as I made that kit years ago but didn't add the men in the rear.

Thanks for sharing. Much appreciated.

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice of you to post Jakko this.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks :smiling3: They do work very well for wargaming this way, I think. For some reason I don’t seem to have pictures of them after painting, though.