1/72 Tamiya kit - should I complain about these wings?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

I'm about to start my Mossie GB kit and have noticed these marks on the wings.....should I worry and complain? Or will I be ok?

I can't feel anything with my finger or nails when I run over them, the wings don't seem obviously distorted and both of the other Tamiya Mossie kits I have from the same range also have identical marks - for better or worse.....

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
With Mark on this one. If it’s OK under primer it’s OK :thumb2:
Looks like plastic flow marks from the moulding process to be honest. Quite common in kits, and more noticeable with some plastic colours over others.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Could possibly be stress marks caused as the plastic solidified ??? Total guess.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Should be fine if you cant feel anything,puff a bit of primer over one of em see what it looks like.
Could possibly be stress marks caused as the plastic solidified ??? Total guess.
With Mark on this one. If it’s OK under primer it’s OK :thumb2:
Looks like plastic flow marks from the moulding process to be honest. Quite common in kits, and more noticeable with some plastic colours over others.

Thanks guys. I'll try to whack some by primer on at the weekend and see what happens.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just flow lines in the plastec, shouldn't be a problem.
Pete

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just flow lines in the plastec, shouldn't be a problem.
Pete
Thanks Pete..... In an odd way I was sort of reassured that all three were the same.

Last edited:

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andrew,
Yep - purely aesthetic. These are mould flow lines and are even more evident with polymers that have fillers in them (e.g. talc, glass fibre and so on)
They will not be evident once you have primed, they won't be a source of structural weakness and they will not result in any adhesion difficulties.
They just give an engineer a clue as to how they have laid their tooling out :smiling:
Enjoy the build
John

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew,
Yep - purely aesthetic. These are mould flow lines and are even more evident with polymers that have fillers in them (e.g. talc, glass fibre and so on)
They will not be evident once you have primed, they won't be a source of structural weakness and they will not result in any adhesion difficulties.
They just give an engineer a clue as to how they have laid their tooling out :smiling:
Enjoy the build
John
Thanks John....and another great lesson learnt! Just what this forum is about!

Last edited: