1/76 Cromwell cruiser IV tank build.

S

Spartan

Hi well I have just started my first ever kit build, The Cromwell IV tank. Everything seems to be going together nicely. A few pieces to clean but I’m happy with my progress.
I will leave the suspension and wheels to fit till last as advised. Some pictures.
CCAA437F-7692-4283-BCFA-1838E07BEFA0.jpeg8B21BCAC-3BAC-489E-AE4C-8CECE99F901D.jpeg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looks good! Also, if you're having fun, that's all that matters.
Pete

S

Spartan

Some more progress made today. The turret has been built and primer applied. The sides of the hull have been painted to accommodate the wheels and track. These will be weathered at a later date.
Skirts have been fitted but very fiddly. All in all I’m pleased with my first ever build.
785C00BD-3363-4697-B01C-F9B8D4C4D356.jpeg986C6399-F49D-4E18-B418-EB033C4F4C6F.jpeg

S

Spartan

Hi I thought I would take a picture of the turret painted up. Primer was applied first. Then followed by the first base coat which looked horrible. Gave this time to dry then applied a second coat and noticed a big difference. Again allowed this to dry and a applied a third coat and it looks lovely.
Will paint the smaller details when fully dried.
596F4AD6-E2D4-429E-B934-5A1441A2DA32.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Kevin
All in all I’m pleased with my first ever build.
And so you should be. You're doing a great job. Definitely right in that multiple thin coats of paint are the way to go.
Keep having fun!
Jim

S

Spartan

Hi Kevin

And so you should be. You're doing a great job. Definitely right in that multiple thin coats of paint are the way to go.
Keep having fun!
Jim
Jim thanks for the nice comments. It means I’m going in the right direction. The main tank has had a coat of primer and a first base coat, this will need to dry properly before applying another coat.
My next build will be in 1/35 scale.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Kevin. You build looks good.
On a side I note you are posting questions directly related to this build in sections around the forum, as your a newcomer I thought I would point out that you can ask in the build thread as you go. People following will help where they can.
It makes for a more interactive thread, and for your own good, the replies are all one place so you can find them.
This applies to all by the way.

S

Spartan

Hi I have finally finished painting the base coat on my Cromwell tank. My brushing technique has turned out well.
Gloss varnish will be applied tomorrow to allow for pin washing detail and weathering, then followed up with some Matt varnish.

Attachments

• 4A85FD3A-D51C-4439-887B-970E06E55E89.jpeg
    4A85FD3A-D51C-4439-887B-970E06E55E89.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 9
S

Spartan

Hi Kevin. You build looks good.
On a side I note you are posting questions directly related to this build in sections around the forum, as your a newcomer I thought I would point out that you can ask in the build thread as you go. People following will help where they can.
It makes for a more interactive thread, and for your own good, the replies are all one place so you can find them.
This applies to all by the way.
Hi Ian I will remember this in future builds. As it does make sense to keep everything in one place. :thumb2:

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Kevin,
That is a great start for your first ever kit build, and as you say you are having fun and that is the main thing to remember.
Cheers, Mike.

S

Spartan

Kevin,
That is a great start for your first ever kit build, and as you say you are having fun and that is the main thing to remember.
Cheers, Mike.
Mike thanks for your comments. I’m looking forward to doing the weathering which will be a first.

S

Spartan

Hi I had to apply a new coat of base paint to the Cromwell tank as the varnish I applied was the wrong type and it was to thick and shiny. But it’s a learning curve. A few pictures before I start weathering the tank up.
27B8756F-2FFD-4C32-A47A-8AC5D9693958.jpeg9901434C-A9B0-4ADF-B431-2ABEC1638650.jpegF94645A7-94EC-4CFA-AF0A-92742FB4C70D.jpeg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Looking great Kevin.What colour have you used here? Looks a very good match for scc 15.
Jon.

S

Spartan

Looking great Kevin.What colour have you used here? Looks a very good match for scc 15.
Jon.
Jon thanks for the nice comments. The base colour I have used is the model air armour green which I thought was close enough.
I have sent off for some MIG light rust wash and some AK Matt varnish and a really this brush for pin washes. :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Kevin
Definitely making good progress. Glad you have sorted the varnish issue. As you say a learning curve.
Jim