1/8 D Type Jaguar scratch build

R

roymattblack

I must admit, I have no idea how to make a gallery......

Roy.

R

roymattblack

A bit more done.....

Some more to the front frame, I made my own oil tank and filler cap, battery and brake system.....

The front 'A' arms are in, hubs and I've cast my own resin 'Dunlop' wheels. It's getting there.

Starting on the rear end now.

All good fun.

Roy.

R

roymattblack

More on the rear....

I've added a simplified rear suspension but it is based on the D Type.

I didn't want to go too overboard as once built, the car will be fixed to a plinth so it won't be seen anyway.

Rear wheels and spinners now added.

Roy.

S

Stevekir

Did you scratch build the engine as well. Truly incredible, if you did. And what about the tyres?

R

roymattblack

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Yes, the engine is scratch made also, using a few Revell 1/8 E Type engine parts as a master.

I took moulds from the main bits - block, head and cam covers - and cast the bits in resin.

All the other parts are scratch as the D Type engine has a lot of differences to the E Type. Making the dry sump was a challenge...

The tyres are solid resin too. I made a mould from an E Type tyre filled with plasticine, made one in resin, then sanded off all the text, raised lines etc to create a generic tyre.

That one was moulded, and resin ones taken from that.

They are painted with Tamiya rubber black.

Roy.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I only just caught up on this Roy ......... Absolutely amazing stuff. I am in total awe of your work. Even 'er indoors (who thinks making models is stuff that 12 year olds should be doing with airfix kits) was impressed ........ and that, matey is a serious accolade.

Amazing.

Peter

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Many thanks for the kind comments.Yes, the engine is scratch made also......

Roy.
Astounding! If you ever have heart problems or lost a leg, you could just scratch build a perfect replica! Astounding!

R

roymattblack

Seriously kind comments you guys. Many, many thanks.

The big D is getting there, but next is the windscreen and surround......

Roy.

R

roymattblack

My casting???

Have a peep here....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972754-moulding-and-casting-your-own-parts/

Roy.

S

Stevekir

Thanks for that. A complete tutorial. I have filed it away for future use. It would be interesting to experiment to see how deep hollows would be successful.

I think it should be moved to the Tutorials and How-tos topic.