1/87 Scale Red Ball Express Dio

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This is a great build Paul, with out these guys I doubt the battle could have continued at the rate it did .
The loads are brilliant.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Tip 'O the Hat Paul.....those towed "Meat Choppers" should keep the unfriendlies away! Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Yet again great work Paul. Amazing to see how quickly you get this done.

Looking at quad 50 cal mountings, they look the same as the ones that go on the back of the M16 half-track. Is that right? If so I hadn't appreciated the range of vehicles and trailers they had been mounted on.

Again, great work.

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Andrew. They are Maxon M45 gun mounts. M16 halftracks, M50 trailers, & ground mounts were standardized. I believe there were other field expedient mountings, as they were self powered and compact.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Andrew. They are Maxon M45 gun mounts. M16 halftracks, M50 trailers, & ground mounts were standardized. I believe there were other field expedient mountings, as they were self powered and compact.
You're welcome Paul and thanks for the info. Just recalled seeing them used in Vietnam too on the backs of trucks in a ground role.

Just a shame the Brits never used them in anger - I see we only received two under Lend-Lease - otherwise I'd have an excuse for getting another kit!! I actually think I made one as a teenager, so it would be nice to revisit it.

ATB

Andrew

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Paul very nice updates everything looks good great work in the Scale

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Always interesting Paul, takes me some time to take it all in, always some little gem of detail to see .

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you gentlemen. I detailed up an M55 as well, but learned they were developed too late for this period. French & US used them & various other M45 mountings in Vietnam for base & convoy security.

Last edited: