1/9 Protar AJS 7R Racer.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Engine/gearbox in the frame, had to open out the mounting holes on the engine as they were too small for the 1.4mm screws.
52667504679_a7e03db766_b.jpg

As you can see from the picture the drive chain does sit properly on the sprocket, you have to fit the chain before fitting the swingarm as the chain is one continuous length as is the primary chain and here comes the problem....................
Engine sprocket, chain and clutch assembly.
52667717453_9056144315_h.jpg

Primary chain.
52667717058_80b7782b9d_b.jpg

The chain has no slots in it to fit over the sprocket teeth so I will have to reduce almost half the teeth on both sprockets to make it look like the chain is fitting as it should, a job for another day as I have has enough of this tonight.

Andy.
can you drill the links that line up with the sprocket teeth so they fit on to it?

First Name
Andy
Tried my best with the primary drive set up, nor brilliant but I think it will do unless you look too closely. :smiling:

52669463838_2c5be96d59_h.jpg

Wheels and forks nearing completion, still need to paint the two central bits with some Metal Colour silver.
52669463928_bc338a173d_b.jpg

Andy.

First Name
Andy
Got the primary drive fitted but what a ball ache that was. You have to really stretch the chain to get it in place with the result that the glue is not strong enough to hold the clutch in position, not even superglue held. Only answer was to drill the clutch housing and the gearbox and secure it with a screw. even then fitting the engine sprocket was not easy as trying to hold it and stretch the chain while trying to locate the fixing screw was a fiddle to say the least.
52675220201_3676f58d3c_h.jpg

Close up picture shows the paintwork leaves a bit to be desired but but from a couple of feet away it looks fine. :smiling5:
Another nightmare was joining the wheel halves as they have to be clamped to pull the rims together, the instructions show using 4 clothes pegs to do this and I first tried this method using TET and 8 clamps but on removal after a couple of hours the rims parted, tried again this time with superglue with the same result. Last resort was to apply a liberal amount of Revell Contacta and leave it overnight..................result! only one more to do now.
52675654205_14a60c94ef_h.jpg

A couple of sticky fingerprints to fix and it will be ready to fix on the completed bike which should take another couple of days........theoretically. ;)

Andy.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A bit late to the party, sorry Andy.
A real challenge. I've never come across a multimedia kit. It looks very good and all credit to you for sticking with it and sorting out the issues.

First Name
Andy
Fitted the oil tank and rear shocks which to be honest are a bit crap but it is what it is being 30 years old.
52679612285_ac3d659338_4k.jpg

I had a real battle to get the central oil tank to fit as there seemed to be a bit of misalignment of the brackets, whether that was a result of me heaving and pulling with the primary drive or not I don't know but I think not as you can not bend cast white metal, it just breaks. Slackening off a few of the engine mounting screws allowed me to get the tank mounted properly.
Anyhoo, onwards and upwards.

Andy.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The rear shocks look bulky because they are meant to be AJS's own "jampot" units rather than the "girling" type fitted to almost every other brand of bike.
They otherwise look not too bad. I have seen far worse on some of these old kits.
John.

First Name
Andy
The rear shocks look bulky because they are meant to be AJS's own "jampot" units rather than the "girling" type fitted to almost every other brand of bike.
They otherwise look not too bad. I have seen far worse on some of these old kits.
John.
As a lifetime motorcyclist I know about the Jampot shocks, what I should have said is that the quality and fit of the shock parts are not good.

Andy.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry about the misunderstanding, certainly not trying to be in any way clever. As I said above, I have seen worse. Looking forward to the rest of the build.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Building up well despite the issues Andy. I do wish a modern manufacturer would make a decent quality run of British bikes though.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done for persevering with this Andy.
From the photos it does look ok after the battle you've had.

First Name
Andy
Sorry about the misunderstanding, certainly not trying to be in any way clever. As I said above, I have seen worse. Looking forward to the rest of the build.
John.
No need to be sorry for anything mate as all comments are welcome and as I said I sort of worded it wrong probably giving the impression I did not know what jampots were when what I really meant that the parts were poorly made and fitted out.

Andy.

First Name
Andy
This thing will get there sometime, don't hold your breath though.
52687359526_b792d0a624_b.jpg

I have spent a lot of time tonight trying to get the rear chain to fit but I have had enough for one day.
Do you ever get to the point where you wish you had never opened the box? that's me right now but I have fought it this far so it will get done.