100ft 'Titanic'

A

ajg141

Thought you might like to read this:

Replica Titanic may meet its iceberg at hands of council

THE future of a 100ft model of the Titanic built in a back garden is uncertain after officials demanded its owner obtain planning permission.

Maritime enthusiast Stan Fraser, 41, has spent six years building the scale replica of the vessel behind his Inverness home. But Highland Council has now warned Mr Fraser that the structure requires retrospective planning permission.

He said: "I'm worried that if I don't get planning permission all the hard work will be down the drain."

His version of the ill-fated liner, which sank in 1912 with the loss of 1,503 lives, has been a hit with walkers and cyclists of the canal towpath behind his home.

It features four smoke-belching funnels.

The father of five had also been planning to install a working foghorn and lights to twinkle from the portholes.

Reprinted from ‘The Scotsman’ 24/08/2006

No further comment from me!

Andrew

G

Gaz

Yup, it is a big beastie, it looks like its made from scrap wood and It's built around 3 or 4 caravans in a line.

R

rjwood_uk

Gaz can you get any pics for us please? would love to see this.

or is it elsewhere on the interent?

G

Gaz

Not sure if it's on-line but I'll try to get a few snaps today and post them tomorrow.

In advance, apologies for my photographic skills (or lack there-off)

Cheer's ,

Gaz.....

R

rjwood_uk

thanks for taking the time to get the photos. no need to appologise. they dont have to be professional photos just normal photos that show us what they look like.lol

D

duncan

Stans 80ft Titanic model on BBC 1 breakfast time news this morning Friday Aug. 25th `06.

B

Bunkerbarge

It was actually on Yahoo! UK & Ireland's front page as well. It seems to be making the news everywhere.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Grass roots models like this are rare,instead of placing brickbats in his way the Highland council should be assisting him to achieve his dreams,we need more characters like him today,they are sadly lacking.

The model would do justice on any film set.

It is really clever the way it has been built from scrap timber,it should be inside away from the elements.

B

Bunkerbarge

It's going to be a serious undertaking to move it, especially as it is surrounded by undergrowth, if he plans on using it elsewhere.

I assume it seperates into peices but crane hire is ridiculously expensive and it may well end up having to stay where it is. An amazing model though and, as you say, a great shame that we seem to put things in his way rather than support such endeavours.

I can also see other points of view here however as such an item is not to everyone's taste so not everyone would want to see it outside thier front window. From what I can see in all the pictures though it is pretty well secluded so I am not sure what the issue is apart from the usual over-efficious council idiots with nothing better to do with thier time and the taxpayers money.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Richard,it looks as if it was built in that hollow ? but looking at the pictures the inclemant weather is already taking its toll on the woodwork especially as water seeps in and causes all sorts of problems.

I know that Duncan has problems keeping his carrier under cover so this one will not last long if kept where it is now ?

I think that it would be better to loan it to some museum,at least until he gets sorted out with his own project.

B

Bunkerbarge

I noticed the planking sufferring on the hull and I suspect that extensive repairs are already required. I agree that it needs to be under cover to be in with a chance of survival but I think that trying to move it is going to be the end of it.

D

duncan

Well I`ve seen this model up close and it realy is more of a film-prop type of structure. A crane couldnt lift it. Made from random scrap wood it does aproximate the Titanic in that the shape is basicaly correct but pretty crude detailing. I`d like some wood firm to support him with some sheets of ply and new timber that would allow it to be finished properly. Stan is more of an artist than a technician, using basic material that comes to hand . There is a couple of caravans in there somewhere. It would not dismantle very easily.He should be applauded for creativity not hounded by the Council. The banking behind is the Caledonian Canal. His house is an interesting ex Toll House that is situated where the City boundary used to be on the Great Road to the North (A9) The interior is decorated like salons on the Titanic. Re housing a large model my Invincible is only(?!) 31ft long and I could not find space under cover near me so it ended up 20 miles away on a farm sharing with sheep and migrating Starlings, previous years it was Pigeons. The droppings are.....well I wont go describe it.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
'There are a couple of caravans in there somewhere' LOL that sounds so funny Duncan !!

Yes I get the picture now,more of a structure than a complete model,it would probably be better to treat this one as a prototype and start again when the right time comes to set up his museum.

He certainly sounds a real character Duncan.

G

Gaz

'There are a couple of caravans in there somewhere'
Maybe thats his plan.... Hitch it onto the back of his car!!!!

Had a look at it last night, it's looking pretty rough and overgrown. I didn't take any pics ( No-one was about and didn't fancy wandering about uninvited )

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
People do some strange things,a Mexican modeller once informed me that he was building his own aeroplane 'From old Fosters beer cans' there was a picture published in 'Flight' magazine of the project,it must have taken him ages to screw them all together.

It does seem such a pity when someone spends hours building something like this Titanic only to just let it rot away,it is almost as if,thats it,I have built it,now lets move onto the next project ? these things do happen,still it is better than that chap who grafted a fibreglass whale to his rooftop and then wondered why he could not get planning permisdsion ?!