100ft 'Titanic'

S

Stan's Son

It's built around 3 or 4 caravans in a line.
2. Quite Quite, exentric.
There are only two caravans both at about the middle of my dad's model.

He is not exentric.

And so everyone understands, the model is not finished and will take about six years to finish. It has taken him about six years to build what he has already. He does not work on it all day only a little at a time.

If you want to find out more please visit our website at www.titanicinverness.com. If you have any questions please ask.

D

duncan

Welcome Stan`s Son. Eccentric was a term of endearment I`m sure, not in any way meant to be insulting. ALL modellers are a bit daffy in any case and all will agree. I`m glad you leapt to your Dad`s defence, most kids nowadays don't seem to care too much about their parent`s interests. I`ll be delighted to show you (and Stan) my Invincible anytime, it is only 15miles down the A9 at Tomatin. Why don't you feed us some more info on your Titanic here on this Forum so we don't have to rely on the press reports which always seem to for the "Man Bites Dog" type headlines ? Might be some useful help or information forthcoming from our knowledgeable members.

T

tigertc

Eccentric was meant in the great british tradition of inventiveness.

S

Stan's Son

About the planning permission... My dad has been told that if he can prove the model has been there for quite a while then he won't need to have planning permission. My dad has to find some evidence to show it was built a few years ago. He has found evidence so only time will tell what will happen. Will my dad get to keep his model and finish it or will he have to tear it down. I shall answer this question as soon as i know the answer.

If he gets to keep the model then he hopes to finish the model and open a museum with the model being the main part. All of this will take quite some time to do and my dad would like to open the museum before 2012( 100 years after the ship's maiden voyage).

Personally i think the museum would atract alot of tourists which in turn would benefit the highland council and british waterways.

We have the news and the public on our side and if the model got knocked down i don't know what would happen. Hopefully all will be fine and we will have a museum by 2012.

The website.. The website is not much to look at but it is only a start. Once we get the right software the website will start taking shape.

I will update here when the website is more like a website and i will also update when i know what is happening with the titanic model.

Bye for now,

Scott Fraser.

A

alan2525

I saw the item when it was featured on Yahoo news, They used a stock image or a rather nice large scale museum quality model of the titanic to illustrate the article, at first I was pretty worried hearing about the possibility of scrapping the thing.

The actual 88ft long model is pretty crude but is a fair representation of the ship, probably as close as you are going to get from old caravans and fence panels, donated ply etc!

It did say that there haven't been any complaints from neighbours though, I imagine it could prove to be a bit of a habitat for local wildlife.

Doesn't seem to be doing anyone any harm though, and it's certainly too true that the world needs a few more characters like this with crazy schemes to do something unique and fun.

B

Bunkerbarge

Scott, I think your Dad has his work cut out trying to preserve what he has achieved so far as weathering is obviously already taking its toll.

Even the best in yacht varnished will suffer from continual exposure to the elements and surrounded by undergrowth like that is about as challenging as it can get.

I hope your Dad manages to keep his model and gets it completed by 2012 and maybe receives some more positive support from the local council.

Maybe he should apply for a roofing grant!! :smiling3:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hello Stans son,we really admire your wonderful dad and his work here,it takes dogged determination to build a model to that proportions,I can assure you on behalf of everyone here that we all mean well in such typically English terms,we are all slightly eccentric here anyway ! give me someone like your dad any day who does something different with is life like building this model,if you have any build pictures to show us then we would love to see them,how about it ? and thank you for getting in touch.

B

Bluewavestudios

And I can only agree with Barry above,

Us Model Makers are Eccentric but without that where would the best British Inventions come from..?? Between all the countries of the U.K. We invented Radar, TV, Telephones, The HoverCraft and The Harrier Jumpjet which even the newly built U.S J-35 has to beat yet. Had it not been for Labour in 1965 we would probably still be looking at the TSR-2 as well, it was well ahead of it's time then but got scrapped because of so called over-run on production costs.....How much has the Euro-Fighter exceeded that by now ..???

Anyway, I do hope all works out well with the planning side for this model as it is a delight to look at, yes it is weathering a bit but nothing that cannot be sorted. If anything, I am intrigued as to exactly when the local councils had a right to slap planning permission on scale models....fit it with an engine and make it move a bit and they are knackered lol.

Mark.

N

noobee captain

Chiefy/sidekick,

is that a venue for a meeting in 2012?

D

duncan

Teletext on ITV Sept 5th 2006 : Council says Stans model can stay ! What is the scoop Stan`s Son ?

S

Stan's Son

Teletext on ITV Sept 5th 2006 : Council says Stans model can stay ! What is the scoop Stan`s Son ?
How very true my dad does not have to get planning permission. He found a photo showing the model had been there for a long time and he sent it in to the council and they said he didn't have to get planning permission. Watch out for my dad on tv tommorow. He will be on stv good morning britain, and channel four sometime. Anyway i will probably not post here for awhile until i have made the website better. I will check this forum for any questions you have and i will try and answer them. Bye for now , Scott.

T

tigertc

Just out of interest, how long does something have to be there for it not to need planning permission ?

D

duncan

Seems four years but I may be wrong. Might be one of those "habit and repute" vague legal things. Seven years co-habiting and you are hitched...! Dont forget this is Scottish Law.

B

Bunkerbarge

So all you have to do is hide whatever building you want behind some trees then, after four years cut the trees down!!

It sounds disturbingly simple!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Duncan said -

'Seven years co-habiting and you are hitched...! '

That is so funny Duncan !!

B

Bunkerbarge

Saves the expense of a wedding.

...and they say we're tight in Yorkshire!! :smiling3: