28mm Ballista using Zvezda and Northstar components

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Here is part two of the ancients artillery. The Ballista is a zvezda 1/72 kit, but looks OK in this context. The crew are kitbashed from the Northstar Frostgrave adventures pack.

IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_2002.jpeg
Can’t remember the name of the two side screens, but they were in the pack so I used them….bowstring is ezeline. Hope you like them….

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Outstanding work as always....as you say the ballista looks perfect with the figures.

Very well done.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Tim them figures look really good an is that a big sort of crossbow there as gun powered hadnt been invented yet eh

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I really like that Tim. Great little dio. You really are the master of this braille scale modelling.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep, lovely stuff...
.. I have a real liking for the Medieval "Artillery" contraptions, excellent little scene there Tim :cool: :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great stuff Tim , i think thats the same Zvezda set I did years back for the under a fiver Cosford group build , was there a catapult too ? The figures look fantastic as does the base , and they fit in perfectly , cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
YES Tim them figures look really good an is that a big sort of crossbow there as gun powered hadnt been invented yet eh
Thanks Chris. Yes, that is exactly what it is. There are thick twisted ropes between the frames that give the tension to the crossbow arms. They can be seen here….
IMG_1998.jpeg
The only difference is that these could fire ball shot as well as the huge arrows.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I really like that Tim. Great little dio. You really are the master of this braille scale modelling.
Cheers Jim. Don’t know about “master”, but I’ve had a lot of practice :tongue-out3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great stuff Tim , i think thats the same Zvezda set I did years back for the under a fiver Cosford group build , was there a catapult too ? The figures look fantastic as does the base , and they fit in perfectly , cheers tony
Cheers Tony. Yes it sounds like the same set. The Onager can be found in the completed artillery section with a crew of lawn ornaments.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What with references to 'lies to children' and 'lawn ornaments (b'zugda-hiara)' I'm thinking there are some Terry Pratchett fans hereabouts! Kindred spirits!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Love that Tim. Like the last one, the figures, machinery and base are all very well done, and work together even better.