29-31 Hampton Street. London's East End....Sept. 1940.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What a terrific set of posts. They are making this build great fun to put together. Thank you gents. :smiling4:

A couple of replies, if I may...

Mark. Don't you be slagging off Barratt's. ;);) As a joiner in the early '70's, through the '80's, I worked on most of their first sites, in and around the Chester area. Everything on a price, ( I never knew a steady wage) I made enough dosh working for them to buy my second house outright. And their houses are still standing!

Tony. Your wish is my command. The little brats didn't have any chalk, so they've nicked some of dad's whitewash!
Ahl seh thee!
'Fiery' Fred Truman

I've finished the model as far as is required for this stage, now it's finally time for some destruction.
It was surprisingly difficult to start. Purely because I didn't want to! Once I'd plucked up courage to get out my 'Finger bomb', plunge it into the model and realise there was no turning back, I am enjoying the process.
Obviously, I will be altering and moving stuff around, but the main destruction is done.

So after a very rough digit extractum, here is the initial stage of the damage.

Just noticed. I've caught a chimblee stack with me mit!
Also, I think it would benefit from some roof spars at the back of the model and a couple replaced at this near side. Early days just yet though. Plenty of silly, glaring alterations to do and I have solid lumps of brickwork and slates that need 'individualizing'....But it's a start.
P1320093.JPG

P1320088.JPG

P1320086.JPG

There you go, Mucker! :thumb2:
P1320095.JPG

Cheers all and thanks for your continued support.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What a terrific set of posts. They are making this build great fun to put together. Thank you gents. :smiling4:

A couple of replies, if I may...

Mark. Don't you be slagging off Barratt's. ;);) As a joiner in the early '70's, through the '80's, I worked on most of their first sites, in and around the Chester area. Everything on a price, ( I never knew a steady wage) I made enough dosh working for them to buy my second house outright. And their houses are still standing!

Tony. Your wish is my command. The little brats didn't have any chalk, so they've nicked some of dad's whitewash!
Ahl seh thee!
'Fiery' Fred Truman

I've finished the model as far as is required for this stage, now it's finally time for some destruction.
It was surprisingly difficult to start. Purely because I didn't want to! Once I'd plucked up courage to get out my 'Finger bomb', plunge it into the model and realise there was no turning back, I am enjoying the process.
Obviously, I will be altering and moving stuff around, but the main destruction is done.

So after a very rough digit extractum, here is the initial stage of the damage.

Just noticed. I've caught a chimblee stack with me mit!
Also, I think it would benefit from some roof spars at the back of the model and a couple replaced at this near side. Early days just yet though. Plenty of silly, glaring alterations to do and I have solid lumps of brickwork and slates that need 'individualizing'....But it's a start.
View attachment 443248

View attachment 443249

View attachment 443250

There you go, Mucker! :thumb2:
View attachment 443251

Cheers all and thanks for your continued support.

Ron

Oh poop! Just when I'd got all my stuff packed up ready for the move to No 29!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

That really is very, very , VERY good indeed. Truly outstanding in fact, given the tools and materials in use.

Nothing expensive or highly bespoke modelling stuff and yet up with the very best of YouTube 'experts'.

A great inspiration too for the wargaming stuff Junior and I do.

Can't wait to see this finished.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
First off, I'm really sorry to have deprived folks of their new accommodation. Please extend my sincere apalowgees!

Paul. Re-the cricket stumps. I have some white pencils which I could have used, but they would have produced too neat a finish. I had it in my mind's eye to go off on a slight tangent and make the stumps look like the dear little children had nicked some whitewash from out of the shed and, before dad came home, quickly daubed the stumps on next door's back wall. Hence the rough children's finish to try and add a bit more character to the setting.....

Andrew. It was how I was taught model making. There were no fancy do dah's. My late dad and I used what was about the house and garden. That's stuck with me and as long as I'm happy with what I make, that's all I require. Sometimes I fear folks find they must have the latest must have's, and get bogged down as a result. I just prefer the quick, simple, straight forward approach.
Saves me a stack of wonga too, which enables me to buy kits, should I want to! ;)

I'm chuffed some of my stuff has given you ideas for future use.

Cheers all and thanks for your input. All good stuff.
Ron

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
"Pure Freaking Magic" 570......looks like she took a direct hit!........Damn Kraut Flyboys are in for it now......There'll be some Lancs headed across the Channel this evening to settle the score. :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Chaps, thanks ever so much for your most excellent comments. Coming from such talented people is praise indeed.

David. Thanks the suggestion. Much appreciated, but I have yet another cunning plan. ;)

I've decided to fill in the back of the roof with naked nude timbers and a bit of 'slating' at each end. Once it's dry I will be bending and wrecking things a tad and add the odd wayward slate or two. then darken the underside of the slates.
I will be repositioning a couple of main spars on this side of the roof too.
P1320096.JPG

P1320097.JPG

Here's the prop. Made from a cereal packet and spare foam board. Simple window opening cut out to allow a bit of light to show through. The 'Slates' are just a piece of card randomly cut in and out to replicate missing slates. Just the barest of detail. It looks a bit naff, but it's really just to fill the hole and of course won't be seen that much anyway.
P1320098.JPG

P1320099.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
570 HOW DID you do the hole with a small hammer or what ? but very brilliant work looks most realistic
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks fellas. :thumb2:

453. Yes, indeed. as you know and others wot build dioramas, expansion is the fun part. Also for me, it's starting off with the vaguest of ideas and not knowing when, or even if, new ideas and or alterations will come into me nut! :upside:

Jim. I think 453 means 'Orgasmic'!

Chris. With my finger. I just pushed down until the thing broke and then I squished it some more.

Cheers.
Ron