.3 or .5 is the question!

R

RickBrown

Okay chaps,

Just sent my so called "Half Decent" airbrush back, "O" ring in the airvalve went U/S and new one was out of stock! Right, now to buy a better brush, my choice is the Iwata CR but it comes with a .5 needle as standard (.3 kit seems about £30) and my older "new" brush was a .3 job. I was really happy with that set-up but here's the question, is there much difference between them? I mainly model 1/72 and sometimes 1/48 aircraft using Tamiya acrylics, maybe the odd bike thrown in too. Any suggestions greatly recieved.

Cheers,

Rick.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would stick to the point three. I use this size for just about everything. Those that dont get the point five.

You can always make an extra pass with a point three but its bloody tricky doing a half pass with the point five.

If you cant find the one you want with point three, go for the CR with the point three kit. Buying them together might give you a better price.

Change to the point three and keep the point five for when you need to do something considerably larger.

Before you go and blow all your cash, pop into the "forums" shop. John has prices that are hard to beat on Iwata!

Iwata Revolution CR airbrush

Ian M

R

RickBrown

Thanks Ian.

I've just been in touch with John via email (blimey, he's quick to respond to emails!), and yes, he's given me a very good price. The only problem is, I can only just about afford the brush at the mo, the .3 would have to come later. Its a shame you cant buy it as standard with a .3.

Rick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My primary brush is an Eclipse CS. I know it's a slightly more expensive range but the 0.35 mm nozzle works for me even in larger scales. I would imagine that it would work well at 1/72 scale too. I often also use a Revolution BR (conveniently small paint cup!) which has a similar sized nozzle for detail and touch ups. I'd be tempted to stick with what you are used to.

Cheers

Steve

D

dm73

Hello Rick, i'm looking into getting a new airbrush from John next month and after a lot of searching for info on the interweb and talking to the lovely people on here i've decided to go for the Iwata .5 as it comes with a bigger pot and get a .3 kit and swop the innards until i need a .5, also have started to move away from tamiya paints to the Vallejo range and am very impressed even though i'm a complete novice.

As Ian said give John a shout, he'll be able to advise you better.

Cheers

Darren

R

RickBrown

Too many choices!

I cant really afford to spend anymore than the price of the CR just now (I need to save for a new compressor early next year, the rightful owner wants theirs back!), is there any other brush that fits the same spec / price maybe?

R

RickBrown

Thats what I was going to do Darren, .3 and keep the .5 for larger stuff. I just cant afford both at the same time.

I've just picked up some Vallejo paints but didn't get chance to use them before the brush went U/S. I have been lent a single action Badger 200NH but I just cant get on with a single action bottom fed brush.

Thanks for all your advise chaps, keep up the good work!

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Another option if you need the smaller needle first is to get the BR, same price as the CR comes with a smaller cup but comes with the .3 needle.

My .5 has been fine for most things I've used it for until I tried spraying camo on a 1/72 plane and while it's ok I would have preferred the smaller needle for it

M

m1ks

John beat me to the response there, theres the same with smaller cup and 0.30mm needle nozzle as he says.

I have two brushes, one with interchangeable cups and use the tiny one for most things, I only really use the larger cup for priming and if i'm covering a large model, (1/24 car 1/48 plane), completely one colour so you may find it would be OK for you.

I'd say, if you can only opt for one, get a 0.30mm setup, it's far better for finer detail and mottling etc, you'd be amazed at the difference 0.20mm can make to spray patterns.

(in the hands of a real pro more so, a friend of mine Airbushes art onto mainly motorbikes, helmets etc but anything that stands still long enough), he primarily uses a 0.20mm nozzle needle for fine line work being as close as 3-4mm away and says he sometimes could do with a 0.10mm)

I digress though, 0.30 is just about do all perfect for most modelling needs.

S

sprayman

Just a quick ref point,The size mentioned 0.3mm 0.5mm etc is usually the size of the nozzle, the needles are made to match the nozzle size, but fine lines is not always down to nozzle size, it can be a mix of paint thickness,pressure and the air crown.Adjust all 3 and fine line can be sprayed with a 0.5mm nozzle.

R

RickBrown

Groan, don't complicate things further Ray! I think my minds made-up (well, for today anyway). It'll be the CR then save for the .3 bits. Right, need someone to mug.......

Rick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Also dont forget to take into account some metalic paints are by there very nature, not as finely corned (?) as an ordinary paint. This does tend to lead to a bit of clogging at the nozzle as the metalic particals fight to get out.

( Ijust been painting some Vallejo metalics, and have had to clean out every couple of minets).

Ian M

M

m1ks

Try Citadel metallics, very fine pigment and spray very very well.

I tried them after reading a post of Grahams, the namings a bit weird but once you know whats what,

Mithril Silver = Aluminium

Chainmail = Steel

Boltgun Metal = Gunmetal

Shining Gold = Copper

Burnished gold = Gold

Also, Humbrols Metalcote enamels are fine and spray well too, have sprayed both through a 0.3, no problems

R

RickBrown

This is all good stuff chaps!

Right, I've got a bit of money together (don't ask) and I think I can run to a CR + 0.3 kit + some super lube. Thats quite a bit, hmm, thats also a lot of beer.

I need to make a phone call in the next couple of days.

Oh, one thing, are the seals and "O" rings on the Iwata's pretty indistructible? I accidently got some cellulose thinners near my last one, not good.

Rick

F

Fenlander

I spray Alclad with my Iwata CR and clean with cellulose thinners with no probs at all. I also find that you can do most things with the .5 needle set including fine lines (Ray is quite right, it is also the pressure and paint that influences this). Also, re the seals, at least with an Iwata, you can easily get any spare part for it at any time. Great guarantee on the AB but don't expect seals to be covered by it, they are regarded as 'consumables' but will last quite a while so don't worry about them.

M

m1ks

As far as seals go, you're guaranteed with an Iwata, they use Teflon needle packing, (the seal behind the air supply and trigger), though most cheapies use them now.

The problem one on the cheapies is the 'O' ring at the nozzle, the Iwata uses a different setup altogether and doesn't have an 'O' ring at the nozzle, (I'm pretty sure of that anyway, correct me if i'm wrong folks using Iwata's), some other expensive brands use teflon seals at the needle.

As Graham says, the real bonus is that you'll always be able to get spare parts for the Iwata.

R

RickBrown

Thanks m1ks.

I think I'm sold on it now. I have a quick one to ask before I start a new thread, I had an Iwata to 1/8" pipe adaptor on my old brush. It had an Iwata coupling at one end and a barbed end at the other to push fit onto my hose. Any idea what thats called (1/8" BSP airline fitting maybe?)? I could do with a part number too.

Thanks chaps

Rick.

R

RickBrown

Ok,another thought. the value has gone up, a bonus is due and I'm thinking of selling at least one of the children. What about the:

Iwata Eclipse CS airbrush?

This has a slightly larger needle, .35 but I bet I cant tell the difference. I also like the design of the head assemble, I always think I'm going to over-tighten and damage the tiny head (I think the CR has this?). I really need to get going on this now, I keep looking at the unfinished projects on the bench. I think I can run to the brush and new hose, I'll worry about getting a .5 needle at a later date If I feel I need one.

Cheers chaps.

Last edited:
R

RickBrown

Thanks to all you chaps I'm now a bit worse off! With Johns excellent advise (and much patience!) I took the plunge and bought a CR with .3 kit. The .3 nozzle is out of stock but I have now given it a good run with the .5. The brush is really nice in use and fairly easy to clean, I hope the nozzle doesn't go get eaten by the cat though! I think I could get used to the larger needle but I cant wait for the .3, free hand camo is proving a challenge at 1/72!

As usual the service from John was fantastic, ordered and received within 24 hrs!

The first test? Was it a Tamiya Spit? was it a mega expensive tank? as it my motorcycle helmet? Nah, t'was my daughters nails! lol, the things we do to keep the peace!

Now, the next thing, to buy my own compressor.......

Rick.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Have fun with it, it's a good investment with care should last you a lifetime