3D printed Bubbleship from Oblivion

I

imabanana

Hey guys, I wanted to share with you a 3D printed model of the Oblivion Bubbleship:

The model is free to download and can be found here.

So what do you guys think? Do you think that this kind of 3D printing models are interesting or you prefer traditional hand built models?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's a very interesting concept , I've never seen one for real so I can't say I'd prefer it or not but from seeing that I'd say it's good

There's some questions I'd like to know

Do you need a special printer

Do you need a special material

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yes Alan, you need a 3D printer and the material to make the model.

Looks great and the scope for creating models is great, however, things like this, for me, are okay for creating one off or limited pieces, like your bubble ship, items that are not commonly available. Is it worth it to us plastic makers, probably not.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yes Alan, you need a 3D printer and the material to make the model.Looks great and the scope for creating models is great, however, things like this, for me, are okay for creating one off or limited pieces, like your bubble ship, items that are not commonly available. Is it worth it to us plastic makers, probably not.

I agree mate also what's the exspence going to run into :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I agree mate also what's the exspence going to run into :smiling3:
Cheapo printer is around £400ish, the filament spools are around a tenner or so, depending on material and length. A great tool if you have the space, skills and are really into modelling as you could make all sorts including small bits for scratch making etc. For the hobby modeler I cannot see this working. Then you have the issue of copyright for certain items and you could not make things and sell on to recoup costs.

Still, pretty cool though.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Cheapo printer is around £400ish, the filament spools are around a tenner or so, depending on material and length. A great tool if you have the space, skills and are really into modelling as you could make all sorts including small bits for scratch making etc. For the hobby modeler I cannot see this working. Then you have the issue of copyright for certain items and you could not make things and sell on to recoup costs.Still, pretty cool though.

I'll stick with plastic and resin , I like the way you used a double negative in there , cheepo and then £400ish :eek: :D

P

Polux

Youareabanana, looks a really nice model!!

Personally I prefer the classic ones, anyway thanks for share it ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Apart from this smelling distinctly of spam, I'll let this go (for a while).

3D printers are coming down in price all the time- I think these days we are about what a good colour printer cost when they first hit the market. I have also read some place that the first 3D printer for under £100 is in the shops.

I think as time passes and the prices fall, they will be a very useful tool for us plastic basher's.

Eddy, why would I have copywrite issues selling a thing I have designed and printed out myself?

I see a 3d printer as a great way to make a master that can then be cast in resin, which would be a lot cheaper...

Think of the figures you can make. One computer model. pose it as you want and print it. move the pose, print it again.. You need never have two figures the same again... Hmm

Ian M

I

imabanana

Yeah £400 is for a quite cheap one, for good prints I think it's worth it to go for something a bit more expensive (around $1,000 should be fine for small things like that).

To what eddiesolo said, I'd just add that a 3D printer even though it can be used for modelling like that, can also be useful for many other things like cosplay building, printing cool and useful objects for decoration or providing easy solutions for spare parts replacement and many others. But yeah you kinda gotta commit to it if you want to start designing your own stuff :D

I

imabanana

Ian M: Yeah, there are some really cheap printers hitting the stores, but as I said above, I'm not sure the £100 printer can really match a £1000 yet, especially when you want to print figures. But obviously in the years to come it will become more affordable.

By the way, to clarify my position: I do work for the website on which the model has been uploaded, I did not design it myself, but I thought it was something that could be of interest for this community and I thought it could be an interesting debate. Also I did post the pictures directly here so that anyone who has no interest in downloading the object can still participate in the debate without visiting thee website. I hope that this is okay :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is fine, banana, (please put your real name in you details,) The fact that you are contributing to the discussion is a big plus. My "smells of spam" comment was due to we do get a lot of Single posts, that point to a web site, only to promote their own products.

I for one will be happy to have a member that is "in the branch" as it could be useful for others that have "ideas" in the 3D world.

Perhaps you might like to post a thread about the different types of printers and their mediums. I for one would find it of interest.

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Eddy, why would I have copywrite issues selling a thing I have designed and printed out myself?
Sorry Ian, maybe unclear, the copyright issue was if you have taken a design, like the OP's and intended to either sell on or, as you say, make resin models. If the designs are your own then they shouldn't be any problem. I like the idea of this just cannot see many modelers using it until the price really comes down.

I

imabanana

Okay I updated my settings, put an avatar (tell me if it's okay, otherwise i'll just take a pic of a banana!)

Making a post like you suggest could be interesting but really time consuming so I don't think I'll do this soon, but in the meantime I'm happy to answer any question, even though Eddie seems to know a few things about 3D printing too :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Cool id love to be able to do cad drawings so i could print model stuff but alas Im stupid and can't. companies like shapways can print your designs so negating the need to own a printer.

Loads of model railway stuff is 3d printed from buildings to locos.

Dave

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
i do like the model looks great,

i did see one this year at the model expo, but could not get to ask about it ,as there were these big guys who just would not move there butts

and let me in :sad: to ask about it,have seen then

i do like concept ,of it and wish i know someone who had one,as for me using it would not happen I think it would be to much of a tecto thing,for me

as it would be great to get some figures or what not,s that are hard to find,:rolleyes:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If the price comes within reach for a good resolution I could be tempted. I have some OK 3D software which could be put to good use.

Heres a good question for you Nicholas, (can we call you Nic?)

If you wanted to print say a mould that you could cast resin copies in, what would be the best medium to print it with? Are they all resin safe? Or would it be better to print the part then make a mould the traditional way.

As for the icon, I would say go for the Banana. Or pay for advertising.. ;)

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Cool!!:cool:

I've been to a 3D printer expo! Well, it was held in the same building where my office is locate. :D

It's simply mind blowing what can be achieved with the equipment! The Iron Man armour (exoskeleton) and the suits worn by the crew of the giant Jaeger robots in Pacific Rim were created on 3D printers!!

PURE AWESOME!!

Nice, but this comes at a price!:eek:

On the other hand, it does create a new avenue for model builders, and one can only wait and see what the future holds.o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
If you wanted to print say a mould that you could cast resin copies in, what would be the best medium to print it with? Are they all resin safe? Or would it be better to print the part then make a mould the traditional way.
The filament used is either PLA (Polylactic Acid) or ABS, the PLA is low warp so can be faffed with, the ABS can withstand higher temps. There is also a pro series of both which give better results and better finishes. There is also a soft PLA which is useful for rubber like parts due to it being softer and more malleable. As for use as a mold per say I would still be tempted to use the 3D for making the plugs and then using a silicone as the mould.

Hopefully, Nicholas will be able to shed more light on this.

I

imabanana

So here again, Eddy has it right, if you want to make molds to cast in resin, you can use an FDM print and then use silicone as a mold, but to do so, you'd need a lot of post-processing on your print before it can be casted. You could also use a DLP printer which can be timesaving as you can directly print in resin (but smaller) at a much higher resolution.

First Name
Aaron
I'm a fan of the movie and I'd love this as a kit. Just needs the built in cycle.