A bit of a quandary

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So, as the title suggests, I'm in a bit of a quandary. This can be illustrated by the power of photography.

Hurris.jpg

As you can see, that's not one but two Hurricanes. I bought the first (Fly) kit before I knew that the second (Revell) kit existed.

My initial thought was to build the Revell kit since I have previously built the Fly kit, albeit a different version. I would still do a 'Malta' Hurricane at some stage.

Then I thought about building the two together, sort of side by side. The issue with that is I don't want to make it some kind of competition between kits from a fairly small scale manufacturer who have long done the best 1/32 Hurricane and a rather more heavyweight newcomer. Comparisons are inevitable, but should remain in that context, they are very different kits.

I'm favouring option two, a dual build, partly because the two kits are so different, but what does the honourable membership think?

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Always more. You can spend more time on the lessor to even things up or leave the warts to show the difference. I'd prefer the former.

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Definitely both!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
A dual build is a great idea steve , although as you say , not a comparison , rather an example of how two makers might do things differently. Cheers tony

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Having built the Fly kit, I'm not sure I would ever want to build another one, despite how nice the exterior detail is.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Having built the Fly kit, I'm not sure I would ever want to build another one, despite how nice the exterior detail is.
I agree, it looks great finished, but the journey getting there. wow.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It always interesting to see kits of the same subject compared so build them both side by side.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I know what you mean, they certainly require a bit of work. I do have the advantage of having made at least a couple of their kits before, including a Hurricane :smiling3:

It looks like I'll do a side by side. I know what to expect from the Fly kit, but the Revell kit is a complete unknown, so we'll see where it goes.

To keep it fair I'll build both with what's in the box, with the exceptions of a decent harness and maybe some alternative markings (though I haven't yet thought about which aircraft I'll be attempting to replicate).

Hopefully I can make a start next week, when I'll post a build thread.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice to see you're doing both oob. That will allow us to see what you actually get and how the two kits compare.

Is anyone else fed up of looking at build reviews where the amount of AM/scratchbuilding adds up to an entirely different kit to the one we've shelled out our hard-earned pennies for - and is therefore useless as a review?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice to see you're doing both oob. That will allow us to see what you actually get and how the two kits compare.

Is anyone else fed up of looking at build reviews where the amount of AM/scratchbuilding adds up to an entirely different kit to the one we've shelled out our hard-earned pennies for - and is therefore useless as a review?
Ending up in costing more than the original kit Dave .

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

I know what you mean.
If you can't get a decent result with what's in the box, what's the point? If either kit came with a harness, I'd use it. I haven't actually opened either kit yet. Alternative markings are hardly compromising the build of what's in the box.
Anyway, I'm just a bloke that likes building model kits, I have no dog in any fight, I'm just doing it for fun.