A lucky few minute's encounter with a Red Arrow!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Last month there was the annual Air Show at Rhyl (N. Wales) The aircraft route to the show is always over our area, so my wife and I looked at what was appearing during the two days of the display.
Some oddities, a Lancaster and the Red Arrows....
After the show, the Red Arrows drop in to re-fuel and have a brew at British Aerospace at Broughton which is about 6 miles from our place, before heading back to their home base.
From the Sunday's time table, we knew just when the 'Arrows' were due to land at Broughton, so at the allotted time, we both armed ourselves with cameras and waited in the garden hoping to get some distant pictures.......
We saw them in formation flying around in a big circle a mile or so away, then they went line astern and landed out of sight at the airfield behind trees.
We both thought that was it when literally out of the blue a lone Red Arrow Hawk flew overhead, not fast, but more of a cruising speed.
It proceeded to fly around the near area for a few minutes before it too disappeared over the trees and landed.

I had a field day. Most of the images were blurred, but here's a few that came out o.k.

The first sighting.
DSC00669.JPG

The 'Buzzing' starts.
P1370546.JPG

P1370537.JPG

P1370549.JPG

P1370553.JPG

P1370562.JPG

P1370556.JPG

P1370536.JPG

P1370548.JPG

Wheels down and finally landing.
DSC00671.JPG

We couldn't understand why this lone aircraft flew around our area for a couple of laps. Until last week....

We have a free local mag. delivered every month and in it was a short article which explained the aircraft's appearance.
Here is a short extract....

" ......and sorry for the noise of the Red Arrow flying around the locality last month. We hope any chickens were not too disturbed - ours where!
Let me explain. Our son is a Red Arrow pilot and on that particular Sunday it was my Husband's Birthday. Unbeknown to us, he had been granted special permission to quickly fly over our residence on the Sunday when arriving at Broughton with the rest of the Flight. Imaging our shock - and pride when he flew over!.......!"

So there was it all explained. Apparently, the folks in question live but a mile from us. What are the chances of anyone having such luck as we had on that day?

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Had me fooled for awhile there 570! Tip O' the hat to Mrs. Ron..... that's some of her finest chucking yet!! ;)

Our Ron often gets accused of taking pics of the real thing and passing them off as his builds. I think this is the first time anybody has accused him of doing it t'other way round! :smiling:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I THINK 570 is pullin a blinder here as i think the top pic an bottom pics of them are real but the ones in between are from the chuckerupper mrs ron lol
an brilliant pics they are too
chrisb

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
No Mrs. Ron involved.

All a bit uncertain, none committal and hiding behind 'Smilies', me thinks. ;)

So is it a toy or the real M'coy?

Come on boys. Positive waves only.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nicely rit Jim!
Couldn't have put it better meself. ;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Fantastic pics matey , what a lucky encounter . As for the doubters , I cant imagine for one minute Ron doing something so mischievous , so it MUST be genuine . Cheers tony:smiling5::thinking:
WELL I CAN as he is a mischievous little devil lol an he laughin at us rable lol as he is so good a moddeler he has fooled us before an i know what he's like but but but brilliant pics 570

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SO Come on 570:thinking: an own up as this is driven me crazy when relookin at them pics an ive asked several people an they have said how lucky you were to get that plane so CLOSE UP so thats my reasonin behind me thinkin you are pullin a fast one i think you knew the arrows would be flyin here so you quickly built a model an brilliant it is an then used it to fool us rabble lol:rolling::tongue-out3::upside: an a touch of genius mixin real pics with that model an justine should get a CDM for her chuckin up brilliant thats my take on this thread:blow-kiss:
chrisb

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the result.....

For being the first to submit the correct answer to our latest quiz, the winner of the first Prize is.........

Boatman (Chrisb.)
You have won a voucher for 2 for afternoon tea at a Recycling Centre of your choice. Bring your own napkins. Well done.

Runner up is.....
Mini Me (Rick)
You have won a coconut.

Thanks to all who joined in the competition. Unfortunately, there can only be one First Prize.

Finally, on this occasion, the ace chucker Mrs. Ron was not involved in the production of the images and no superimposing malarkey was adopted either. ;) For the record, the 'Real' Red Arrows really did fly over our place on that Sunday.

A quick build of the Red Arrow aircraft will follow shortly......

I thank you.
Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
:thinking:well i dont know what to think anymore Aaaaaaaccchhhhhhhh oh dear 570 :tongue-out3:

:thinking:YES 570 I BET it will be a quick build all of 20 seconds of the time it takes to show the prebuilt plane lol :rolling: ;):tongue-out3:
chrisb

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Chris, I thought you would have been well chuffed to have a chance of tea for two in a Recycling Center!:hungry: