A pair of shelf Queens - 1/700 Yamato & Hyuga

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Must admit, I like her better with the six turrets :thumb2: Should be an interesting build though. I think you’ve picked the right colour in 991 DSG Dave. VJ 900 is the French WW1 uniform Horizonbleu Colour, and is actually quite “blue” in tone when compared.
An original 6 turret version 1/700 model was made by Fujimi & Hasegawa, but I've only seen it advertised at collectors' prices. The colour of IJN warships is still a matter of debate - ranging from a blue-grey to a grey-black, I reckon any sort of darker grey will pass muster! It seems that battleships, cruisers & destroyers all had their shade of grey. Aircraft carriers started carrying camouflage halfway through the war, including a rather sickly pale green and some cubist style patterns on the flight decls
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Brush painting session - I repainted the deck & the hull etc....................
DSCF3718.JPG
After my thoughts on paint colour yesterday, I decided to go with the first paints I found in my box that looked closest to what I visualised - so, the deck was painted with AK 4131 Greyish Yellow, and the rest AK3 11167 Anthracite - they look as I think they should!
The rest of the armament, pagoda & funnel can be assembled & painted as separate units.
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Dave. A very odd looking beast!

ATB

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This has actually turned out to be quite a bit more work than I thought! Main components assembled & basecoated...................

DSCF3719.JPGDSCF3720.JPG

DSCF3721.JPG
The bridge has nearly 30 bits to it, and I still have the AA guns to add, not only to the bridge, but everywhere else! I've not even thought about the aircraft yet!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Saw the sun for the first time this month! So inspired that after my food convoy arrived, I went for a short walk! - temperatures are dropping, and when it's icy I'm not happy about going out - I'm bad on my feet these days! So I took the opportunity.................
DSCF3914.JPG
The aircraft & AA armament - I have to add the decals to the aircraft - I probably won't add the underwing discs, you can't see them. A little more detail painting, like the cockpits. There's no real guide to what you do with the aircraft, so best guess! It never carried any aircraft operationally anyway. It should come together quickly now ( famous last words )
Been looking at the other shelf queen, the Yamato & I reckon I'll have to strip the deck paint off, it's a bit thick, and I think it may be enamel, so that may be a bit of relearning a technique I haven't used for a few years!
Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Dave.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Limiting myself to an hour a day - the hand is much better, but I don't want to rush it.
Progress, planes added - totally imaginary, as she never carried planes operationally
DSCF3919.JPG
The plane decals have given me grief - they aren't sticky, and are very thin. They seem to have some sort of reaction with the setting solution - leaving white streaks ( only apparent after a day or so ). I hope that some matt varnish will remove those. There's only the boats to add now, so nearly finished

Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave we are pleased to hear that your hand is feeling better so now you can model again good show
chrisb an jen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good to see you back at the bench and that's coming on nicely.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Since the Hyuga is nearly finished, I've picked up the Yamato - I've given the partly completed bits etc an overall spray of the basecoat
DSCF3920.JPG
I've got the wood deck veneer to cover most of the midships area. I've used a different paint to the Hyuga - Vallejo 903 Intermediate Blue - which is more grey, than blue. What is apparent is not only how much longer the Yamato is, but the beam is nearly twice that of the Hyuga.
I don't include airbrushing as part of benchtime, little physical effort, and I can do most of that with the left hand!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Glad you're able to model again Dave. Those white marks might clean off with some water?
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The wood veneer added - always a bit tricky, after getting the backing off & that initial positioning!
DSCF3921.JPG
Well fitting veneer, I'm glad to say. I'll give the deck a coat of varnish, so any painting mistakes won't give a problem
Can't raise the enthusiasm to add the boats to the Hyuga at the moment................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I came across this................
IJNNavalGray.jpg
It seems that the IJN never really standardised on their base colour. You also have two versions of the green upper surfaces of IJN aircraft, helpfully called 'Mitsubishi' and 'Nakajima' green. Given the animosity of the Navy & Army, I would think there was another range of colours entirely, used by the Army. As an absurdity the Army operated submarines and aircraft carriers! ( OK they were for supplies )
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I came across this................
View attachment 469367
It seems that the IJN never really standardised on their base colour. You also have two versions of the green upper surfaces of IJN aircraft, helpfully called 'Mitsubishi' and 'Nakajima' green. Given the animosity of the Navy & Army, I would think there was another range of colours entirely, used by the Army. As an absurdity the Army operated submarines and aircraft carriers! ( OK they were for supplies )
Dave
Very interesting Dave. The Sasebo colour is markedly different from the other two isn’t it. I can imagine those two being different paintshop interpretations, but not the Sasebo.