A quartet of Ducati. Part 1; The 900

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Ok so ipulled these out of my stash and decided to go for the 4 of them 1 after the other, so i started the 900 and will hit the 888 next followed by the 916 then the 1199 ( first bike i did was the 916 still got it but I alway‘s said i would do it again hopefully there's an improvement !!!
this might take a while but up dates as i have them
simon
F2DD7F0D-7C98-4990-8598-2A9F3983BC0B.jpeg4CD5DB56-1D3C-4C9C-BD8B-35D4D406F6AF.jpegC588BCEC-806E-4DCF-AF04-6AD66EF2C1E6.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Best looker is the 900, but they are all sharp to look at. Should be a good thread!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
God i'd love to own an actual 1199 but it would probably be too much for me. so that's why i'm looking at an 899 :smiling3:

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Hi all
a small up date to save any confussion i will now open a seperate tread for each build ill leave this one as the 900 but the others will be in different treads

simon

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
good luck with this.....ive just done the 916 and enjoyed it......got the 888 to do soon.......the MHR is nice apart from the tricky paint job.....you need a 900SS to complete the set but i think the tamiya one is getting hard to find now

Last edited:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
In for the builds, beautiful looking bikes.

As it's payday I intend pre-ordering the new Superlegerra V4 this weekend. :smiling3:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Close, but not quite the same. I've just ordered the kit, along with the colour correct Zero paint. They list it as Superleggera V4 Red as opposed to the 1199's Superlegerra Corsa Red.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
good luck with this.....ive just done the 916 and enjoyed it......got the 888 to do soon.......the MHR is nice apart from the tricky paint job.....you need a 900SS to complete the set but i think the tamiya one is getting hard to find now
Yea you can tell its the older kit but engine is coming along quite nicely plenty of play in the fitments unusual for Tamiya, but very possibly all out of the box builds the 1199 is the one im looking forward to NOT

Simon
Close, but not quite the same. I've just ordered the kit, along with the colour correct Zero paint. They list it as Superleggera V4 Red as opposed to the 1199's Superlegerra Corsa Red.
i will need to keep my eye on the paints for the 1199, never used zero but theres always a first
simon

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Worth giving them a go, I've had good results. 4 or 5 thin coats seems to work well.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not used the diamond clear coat, but the clearcoat lacquer is fantastic, especially if degassed and polished between coats. Literally wet look when dry.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
By degassed you mean? Letting it harden and polish with2k grit? Forgive my ignorance
simon
Basically yes. I’d give it three or four days to really harden off then Polish with finishing compound. I use the Tamiya ones. As an aside, I have polished unpainted plastic kit parts to get a nice approximation of vinyl seats etc as well.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Basically yes. I’d give it three or four days to really harden off then Polish with finishing compound. I use the Tamiya ones. As an aside, I have polished unpainted plastic kit parts to get a nice approximation of vinyl seats etc as well.
Thanks i have the polish will give it a try once i get to that build cheers

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Have you used the diamond clear coat? Seem exspencive and a short shelf life i have them in a basket 2 reds and the new kit

I've not used it myself as it's a 2K and highly toxic. I model in the house, with an asthmatic wife, 3 kids and 4 cats I don't want to chance it.

My go-to clear is Mr hobby gx100 which, with a polish, is glass like enough for me.