A question of scale.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks again for the info on the scales.....the most coherent - and understandable - explanation I have come across.

ATB

Andrew
I can do more if you like…..that’s just the 1/76.2 scale ones. There are hundreds of others, well, probably not but it feels like it .
The narrow gauge stuff gets the most confusing…..OOn3 anyone….that’s OO scale (4mm or 1/76.2) bodies on N gauge (12mm gauge) track modelling a 3 foot gauge prototype railway…….great for the Isle of Man stuff…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I can do more if you like…..that’s just the 1/76.2 scale ones. There are hundreds of others, well, probably not but it feels like it .
The narrow gauge stuff gets the most confusing…..OOn3 anyone….that’s OO scale (4mm or 1/76.2) bodies on N gauge (12mm gauge) track modelling a 3 foot gauge prototype railway…….great for the Isle of Man stuff…..

….and…..I got that wrong LOL…..

The description is correct, but it’s OO bodies running on TT track……not N gauge track (which is 9mm gauge).

The little n just stands for “narrow”, a descriptor used for any track gauge less than 4 foot 8 and a half inches….if you’ve been to mid Wales you’ll know what I mean…..

I‘m stopping now….my head hurts ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That was exactly my first thought. A security company that just believes a random caller on their word is not one you want to give your money to. The company should have phoned a number supplied to them by their customer to tell them an alarm has gone off.
I'd have had words with them - two words, the second being 'off'!

Pete
Now that’s new. I’ve never heard of that before :surprised: . I think your wife must be pretty tolerant, because I would have told the miscreant and his cronies to sling his hook and take his layout with him. Not only that, if the security company had taken their word that nothing was amiss and hadn’t investigated I may well look for another. It’s exactly the same as burglars telling the security company not to worry isn’t it.
Must say though, I ran the local P4 and EM group (Sarum Finescale, still going I think) for a number of years in the nineties when I was a member, and they were a great bunch of guys with none of these tendencies. Very like this forum in fact! I only gave it up because I lost interest in modelling and became a born again guitarist.
Last word, I know we don’t criticise others work on here, and long may it continue, but the ones I found were worst at the interpersonal stuff were not actually very good modellers….

A short clarification.....

I aksed my wife about this earlier and the security company actually came out in person to discuss the break in prior to my wife's arrival and were obviously satisfied with the explanation upon arrival.

The church will have incurred a cost due to the security firm's call out....which I imagine will be passed on to the organiser.

Dave @Gern....sincerest apologies for completely hijacking your thread.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm on the scrounge for info - again!

I'm looking for some OO or 1/76 doctors/scientists and some engineering figures (Not car mechanics or railway track workers). I've spent the last three days looking and had no luck - althought there seem to be plenty in HO or OO/HO scale.

Can any of you figure guys point me in the right direction please?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
May be worth looking through the pulp ranges…
Cant seem to find much else. The Dapol hard plastic figures are reviewed on the Plastic soldier review site, so see what you think….

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
They’ll be 1/87 Rick…..continental HO outline I’m afraid.
I’ve used them happily with 1/72 dioramas before. In fact, some Preiser figures are 1/72.
In this diorama there is only one 1/72 figure, the others are Noch and Matchbox. In my experience, with careful selections and placing the difference is barely noticeable.
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/rick’s-1-72-harrier-hide-harrier-gr3-4-sqn-royal-air-force-germany.37988/

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
….and…..I got that wrong LOL…..

The description is correct, but it’s OO bodies running on TT track……not N gauge track (which is 9mm gauge).

The little n just stands for “narrow”, a descriptor used for any track gauge less than 4 foot 8 and a half inches….if you’ve been to mid Wales you’ll know what I mean…..

I‘m stopping now….my head hurts ;)
My head hurt at the start of all this Tim !

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I’ve used them happily with 1/72 dioramas before. In fact, some Preiser figures are 1/72.
In this diorama there is only one 1/72 figure, the others are Noch and Matchbox. In my experience, with careful selections and placing the difference is barely noticeable.
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/rick’s-1-72-harrier-hide-harrier-gr3-4-sqn-royal-air-force-germany.37988/

Having tried your suggestions guys - thanks for the info - while I have found some suitable sets, methinks I'm going to have to live with different scales. I think I should be able to get away with creating barriers between the different areas of my building which should hide any discrepancies unless you look REALLY close!

All I gotta do now is buy my house so I can set up a second mortgage to pay for them! I guess they're so expensive as they all come ready painted. No doubt that's 'cos the railway modellers don't have the time to paint their own figures - on account of them being too busy faffing around sorting all the different scales! :smiling: