Academy M48A3 Patton

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks Jakko, I think I'll leave it all black. The mirror doesn't seem to be visible in photos.
That’s mainly because of the awkward angle it usually has to be photographed from :smiling3: I think if you paint the inside of the rear part silver and the rest of the insides black, you’re most of the way there.

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, this thing nearly got binned yesterday. The turret didn't want to fit, so I had to sand quite a bit of the bottom as well as removing some of the stubs that fit into the upper hull - probably the wrong word, the bits that stick out so the turret has a bayonet fitting into the hull. The upper and lower hulls were a real struggle to fit together, so I left the turret on, and left the rear panel of the hull, thinking I could put the hulls together dry, then run some cement in to hold them together.
Result was a lot of distortion of the front of the hull, where I hadn't realised how much cement I'd used, and some cement got onto the turret, which is now immovable.P1170542.JPG
P1170544.JPG
In other news, I painted up the IR searchlight as Jakko suggested:
P1170543.JPG
I might as well get it finished though, so I started painting the wheels, but then started to get the shakes again, so I left it alone for a while. :anguished:
To think this was going to be a quick OOB build...
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just as well I didn't attempt it then Pete.
Plenty of mud would be my stock answer to any armour or truck build that behaves like that . Either that or set the b****y thing on fire . In these days of high energy costs that may well be a good option :smiling2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ouch, that fit is not great … The Tamiya one fits OK, but IIRC it can be a bit tricky if you don’t get the rear plate right. That is to say, I suppose this one also fits by hooking into the top of the rear plate while the front has two long poly caps that go over posts on the upper and lower hulls?

The searchlight looks good, better than the all-silver ones I always produced from these kits because that’s what the instructions said to do.

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry to hear that Pete.....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
:sad:

If you decide you want an M48 after all, I would recommend one of the new Takom ones. Though I would also advise to buy a set of AFV Club tracks together with it, then sell the ones in the kit to some other sucker ;) At least the AFV Club ones won’t cost you 14 hours to build, like it took the person who wanted to have the tracks from my M247 kit (the air-defence tank based on the M48) …

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I can feel your frustration all the way over here in the States Pete. I have had the same inclination more than once on my JU52 build, I'm just too "Boneheaded" to give up on it. Besides that, it's the only game in town. On the other hand, you have options as Jakko said there are better kits available (lucky Boy) so pluck up and have another go at it from a different angle. ;)