Acrylic Gloss Varnishing

GhostRider27

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Greetings! I just recently shot VMS Gloss Varnish on a 1/48 F-15E... I put it on a bit heavy, as shown in the video and used its own "Slo-Mo Extender" a few drops maybe so the airbrush would not clog. The varnish is still a bit tacky after 72 hours. I know I shot it a little heavy, and used the retarder but my concern is, what can I do to ensure this will cure?

I haven't sprayed varnish on plastic in about 18 years so I am basically learning all over again pretty much. Used to use Future, and matte coat with Polly-Scale after decals.

What can I do to speed things up? Is it just a question of leave it and forget it maybe for a few more days? Will it ever cure I'm wondering? I would be heartbroken of it didn't!

If you guys have any suggestions, experience let me know if you can I really appreciate it. I would say its getting less tacky by the day, but ever so slightly "soft" to the touch and mildly sticky in certain areas.

I just joined this site after being on ARC (Aircraft Resource Center) for almost 20 years.. I've been browning the forums and I really like this group very informative, mad skills and helpful!

Thank you in advance! -Ed

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've used the VMS varnish quite a bit, although usually satin, and find it dries pretty well. I've never used that slo-mo retarder so maybe it's that.

They do recommend quite a heavy application but possibly you went a bit too far.

A bit of warmth and airflow should help it along. Nothing too extreme but sitting it outside on a warm day, an airing cupboard if you have one, or maybe a gentle waft over with a hairdryer on low.

GhostRider27

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
I've used the VMS varnish quite a bit, although usually satin, and find it dries pretty well. I've never used that slo-mo retarder so maybe it's that.

They do recommend quite a heavy application but possibly you went a bit too far.

A bit of warmth and airflow should help it along. Nothing too extreme but sitting it outside on a warm day, an airing cupboard if you have one, or maybe a gentle waft over with a hairdryer on low.
Thank you for the suggestion Andy I'll give it a try. I've had it inside my paint booth now since Monday, with plastic covering the opening of the both to keep it dust free. There is very little airflow, so I'll stick it outside tomorrow morning for a bit on a table and see what happens. I agree, it does need some airflow but keeping it dust free was my concern. Even doing what I did, somehow, a cat hair or two got on it. lol