acrylic paint in tubes

T

tiger131

my uncle got me a set of acrylic paints in tubes (thanks uncle graham :smiling3: ) and i'm not sure if i would have to water it down because it is quite thick straight from the tube.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I would defo water them down. are you using brushes of air brushing them?

T

tiger131

i'm using paintbrushes so would that mean i shouldn't water it down to much.

C

CDW

I water them down to about 40% water. this way they're thin enough to not cover any detail even with two nice coats for depth.

the main thing is to prepare the surface of the plastic. I personally do this with bird grit which abraises the surface just enough to provide a key (there's a how-to somewhere in the tips section). there's no need for primer then.

I only use acrylic paints and these tubes make up half of the paint mixtures I create.

they're also fantastic for making washes by thinning to about 90% water.

D

Danny

Also worth noting, in my opinion, When you need a coat of acrylic to stick tubes are the way to go. Ive had some probs with vel model colour in the past. Whether i washed, sanded, primed, there was still pain that wouldnt be permanent. Give the kit a prime with a close colour tubed acrylic watered at 40% and the problem is gone. Only drawback is the very, very fast drying time of tubed acrylics..