Adventures with a 3D printer

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I remember about 5 years ago, a mate of mine who always buys the latest gadgets spend ages in the pub one night trying to explain 3D printers to a group of us. We all enjoyed his conversation but thought he was a bit nuts and it wouldn't come to anything.

And my whole career was in IT so and I thought I was up with technology and the future. I obviously wasn't.
Had a similar conversation years ago with a mate who was a professional photographer. He was convinced that digital photography would never go beyond mass point and push cameras because the resolution would never match wet film. Within five years wet film had gone the way of the dinosaur and digital was all conquering. I think 3D printing is at that point now. In a couple of years improvements in ease of use and reductions in costs will make them all conquering, just like inkjet printers.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
And yet, we still listen to vinyl records on vacuum tube stereophonic record players............go figure. ;)
Well I do anyway Rick. North side of 1500 vinyl disks and about 600 CDs here, all genres. Got a great all British components based system that has taken a lot of time and money to acquire over the years. Never had tube kit though, even though it can sound better, it’s too expensive and unreliable for me. Quite like the idea of a wind up gramophone, but don’t have the room. I expect there are those that still listen to Edison wax cylinders out there somewhere…….but we are all very much in the minority :tongue-out3:
Trouble is, despite us throwbacks and hair shirters, the vast majority of the population stream their music through smart speakers because they like the simplicity and ease of use, and are not really concerned about sound fidelity. The same will be true of 3D printing, convenience will trump fidelity and hand building every time for the mass market.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I remember about 5 years ago, a mate of mine who always buys the latest gadgets spend ages in the pub one night trying to explain 3D printers to a group of us. We all enjoyed his conversation but thought he was a bit nuts and it wouldn't come to anything.

And my whole career was in IT so and I thought I was up with technology and the future. I obviously wasn't.
I was using the technology for work in the early noughties, but it was crazily expensive in those days. I must admit I am surprised at how cheap and accessible the good stuff is now

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Exactly...better? In some cases certainly...over all?.... Not necessarily.
As far as my world, figure modelling, is concerned the free stuff is not really up to snuff for me. Although there are undoubtedly some talented digital sculptors around, they are charging proper money for their work, and most do not sell the digital files anyway. But for accessories etc , I love it.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Exactly...better? In some cases certainly...over all?.... Not necessarily.
For HiFi you can’t beat Naim Rick. It‘s not the most accurate, but it really boogies.
My guitar amp is all tube though Rick…..even though the best modelling software now matches them you can’t beat the visceral power you get from a well set up tube power amp..

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Know what you mean Tim, my radios all have tubes and powered speakers....produce wonderful sounds.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
As far as my world, figure modelling, is concerned the free stuff is not really up to snuff for me. Although there are undoubtedly some talented digital sculptors around, they are charging proper money for their work, and most do not sell the digital files anyway. But for accessories etc , I love it.
Not sure what scales you normally work in , but i am impressed with this figure ( it was a free one )

I got it free a while ago , its a 188meg stl file.

First Name
Andrew
Lovely to see what you're producing Neil.

The architectural world is taken over with 3D prints now. Whereas a few years ago there was still room for me to hand sculpt statues, etc. it's now all done with prints. See this https://3dd.co.uk/project/8-eaton-lane-belgravia/
At least I still get to do the landscaping and they do use my brush skills to paint up the furniture prints.
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely to see what you're producing Neil.

The architectural world is taken over with 3D prints now. Whereas a few years ago there was still room for me to hand sculpt statues, etc. it's now all done with prints. See this https://3dd.co.uk/project/8-eaton-lane-belgravia/
At least I still get to do the landscaping and they do use my brush skills to paint up the furniture prints.
Andy
That’s fantastic. It’s a truly impressive model. There’s a sideline there if they wanted it as well. Once the original model has served its purpose the various print files could be sold on to the modelling community.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That’s fantastic. It’s a truly impressive model. There’s a sideline there if they wanted it as well. Once the original model has served its purpose the various print files could be sold on to the modelling community.
Just to be clear about this guys, this kind of detailed architectural model is not 3D printed. They are made up of many components like a big Airfix kit , mostly laser cut acrylic. The data now comes to the modelmaker in the form of a digital model and that does allow for suitable details to be 3D printed, like statues and balustrades and staircases (especially staircases,my god what a revolution). The furniture as well, when the scale requires it, is easy now, whereas it used to be left out as being too expensive .
I learnt my digital skills by fixing many dodgy digital models to make them 3D printable; there was a lot of poor data in the early days. The analogy of the model kit is a fair one, except that you have to design the break down of parts yourself, there are no instructions and the design can change right up until the deadline ( which doesn't usually change...) .
Most small scale models are 3D printed nowadays,and especially the cityscapes they get dropped into to show them in the context. I'll post couple of pics when I get to my PC.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Not sure what scales you normally work in , but i am impressed with this figure ( it was a free one )

I got it free a while ago , its a 188meg stl file.
I have to say it still looks fake to me, Gary. The face is good but the creases are too lumpy and the pose is not quite right, sorry

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I got that Neil. It’s the detail files that would be most useful to a modeller anyway. I’m sure there would be a market in the dolls house world as well……

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have to say it still looks fake to me, Gary. The face is good but the creases are too lumpy and the pose is not quite right, sorry
That issue isn’t confined to the digital world is it :tongue-out3: There are any number of hand sculpted figures out there with the same issues…..some of them sold for quite a lot of money……

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Neil , I also think that a lot of the military modelling stuff isn't advertised the same way that the ''Warhammer'' stuff is.

Here's one prolific 3d modeller @ https://es.3dexport.com/artejaol
and another https://cults3d.com/en/users/HomeBrewParts/creations

some stuff free , others at reasonable prices.
I've personally built prints from Darius at Cults3d and not only can I thoroughly recommend his prints but also his research and design work.

I don't have a printer personally but am excited to see how military scale modellers are finaly now embracing this new tech.

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
How detailed can the modern day (home use) printers go down to? I still would like to get one of these but if the level of detail and finish isn't up to it yet then i'll have to wait. Also designing the item(s) would be another area i would need to try and learn

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
How detailed can the modern day (home use) printers go down to? I still would like to get one of these but if the level of detail and finish isn't up to it yet then i'll have to wait. Also designing the item(s) would be another area i would need to try and learn
Alan, they are really very good now, hence this discussion. In fact since I bought mine in March there have been at least 2 leaps of screen resolution-first to 4k and now 8k.(similar to megapixels in photography for the uninitiated)
it's really down to the user to get the best out of them.
I've personally built prints from Darius at Cults3d and not only can I thoroughly recommend his prints but also his research and design work.

I don't have a printer personally but am excited to see how military scale modellers are finaly now embracing this new tech.
I agree , Darius' stuff is amazing-he made the ammo trailer that Los built. Not my field of interest but German ww2 is the money spinner subject, isn't it?
Anybody want a French Napoleonic Infantry Shako....?