Advice on US tracks please

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't usually build US AFVs but I'm thinking of building my Tamiya M40 SPG that has sat in my stash for a while; this will sound ridiculous to some but are the main track elements metal or some hard rubber compound? I haven't found any reference to their composition in any of my reference material (almost exclusively German) - I'm erring on the side of steel but I don't want to spoil the end result by a glaring schoolboy error. Many thanks in anticipation!
Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Both :smiling3: It has T80 tracks, and those had steel outer faces and chevrons but rubber inner surfaces. From the Sherman Minutia site:

T80_1.jpgT80_2.jpgT80_3.jpg

There were three types of Sherman HVSS¹ tracks: T66 was all-steel with a waffle pattern on the outside, T80 is the above, and T84 was similar but with a much wider chevron, and with both inner and outer faces of rubber.

¹ That’s the later type of Sherman suspension with double roadwheels at each station and wide tracks, like the 155 mm GMC² M40 has.
² Gun Motor Carriage, the American term for “self-propelled gun”, not General Motors Corporation :smiling3:

Reactions: JR

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I would go with the tracks supplied in the kit for WW2/Korea. But later in their life they were fitted with the hard rubber chevron tracks T48 because the earlier tracks were tearing up the roads.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
For the Second World War, T84 would not be correct: they went into production too late to see service there, even in the Pacific. For Korea, they would be possible, but I don’t recall seeing them much on vehicles in photos. Pages 894 and 898 of the second-edition Son of Sherman show M4A3 (76 mm) HVSS tanks with them in Korea, though, so it’s certainly an option for a model. The T80 from the kit is definitely safer ground, however.