Advice regards airbrushing around the area of exhaust

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Any tips on how to airbrush around the area of a gas turbine exhaust. As in use a very watery black wash to simulate rotor downwash blowing exhaust gases over the airframe!!
Hope you can understand what I mean!!! Not so much weathering but more dirtying!!!!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
X-19 Tamiya smoke, heavily diluted.
I used it on this build and my Sea King HC4 - https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/rick’s-1-72-kp-models-mil-8-hip-east-german-air-force.38099/.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Or if you have compatible paint & varnish (eg both water based acrylic) a touch of black or black brown added to the varnish will recreate a similar effect without having to thin the paint so much that it's hard to control. You're basically making it translucent.

Test on something else before going straight to your model. I have a few test mules (cheap kids toys or an old model) for trying things out but anything with a similar surface will do, like a plastic milk carton for example.

If you find you're doing a lot of this kind of thing many paint manufacturers make a glaze medium especially for the purpose.