Airbrush arrived, some advice needed!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***5th this sounds typical of some of the suppliers now in operation on E-bay,you will note that we recently discussed this very thing,it is a catch 22 situation again especially with the return postage,one of the drawbacks of online shopping,if it had been a high street shop then you could have just plonked it onto the counter,there are lessons to be learned once again here.

I wish that I could be of some help in the matter.

Thought i'd give a quick update here.I emailed the seller and told him about the hassle i was having with it and asked if he could send a replacement regulator/adaptor and hose.

He then emailed back saying sorry that royal mail crushed it and that i need to send everything back and he would send a new one out.

I then emailed him back saying the package wasn't crushed by royal mail, and that it would cost me practically what i payed for it over again to send it back once i'd bought packaging etc and asked again if he could just send a replacement regulator/adaptor and hose....and he's never replied since then :sad: so might just email him again and say something like "i assume the answer to my last question is no?"

So apart from that, none luck with it :sad:

R

rjwood_uk

i 5th, i have also been looking at compressors as they do make much more sense....

barry gave me this link for ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-DIAPHRAGM-AIR-COMPRESSOR-FOR-AIRBRUSH-NAIL-ART_W0QQitemZ8285048259QQcategoryZ28111QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it has everything you need ie. water trap, air filter and regulator.

it went for £42 + £12 P&P so £54 is not bad at all and these exact models are up on ebay quite a bit.

im deffinatly going to get one after pay-day.

well worth a look into if you get that job!!

any word yet? good luck if not!

5thelement

Had the interview today...so should find out soon...fingers crossed.

Maybe i was stupid to not send it airbrush back :sad: and i might of left it too long to do it now :sad: hmm, might be worth emailing back saying ive tried again and still had none luck, and offer to send it back and see what he says.

Compressor looks not bad for the price :smiling3: just hope it works, as i'd imagine the postage to send one of those back would be high lol

Last edited:
R

rjwood_uk

to be honest the postage he puts £12 sounds about right if not cheap for something of that weight,

he may be a power seller but he does have a 99.9% positive feedback...with 1 negative feedback in the past year so i doubt you would have any problems with the product if you baught it

i am most probably going to! its a pain in the but having to keep going and buying "cans of air"!!!

5thelement

Yeah, they are well overpriced, can easily see how the compressor would pay for itself after a few models and testing/cleaning the gun (wasting your air)

A

alan2525

I've bought a fair amount of Items from that Ebay seller, including a piston compressor with a 3ltr receiver. The items arrived very prompty and postage wasn't excessive either.

airtankto0.jpg

Regarding compressor choice, I'd favour a compressor with an airtank, it smooths out the pulses in the air flow, aids in trapping moisture and a pressure switch means the compressor turns it's self off once the maximum pressure is reached rather than just running continuously.

N

Nigel.D

the only prob you may have is its bloody noisey!!! and the piston is so small that you need to make sure the tank is charges fully before using (that said for the price you got a real bargain!!!!!!!)

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That is a lot of commpressor for the price Alan ! regarding the noise do what we used to do at work with the real ones,make a large box and pad it out with accoustic foam,stick the box outside and somehow lead the feed into your workplace.

Combined with one of Nigels cooker hoods you have a very nice piece of kit there.

B

Bunkerbarge

...but don't forget that the compressor needs to be cooled as well. They generate quite a bit of heat.

A

alan2525

mate i have only been back into the modeling hobby since christmas and i have about £100 of paint alone!
Did you buy a 14ml tin of humbrol enamel? That stuff is expensive!

A

alan2525

That is a lot of commpressor for the price Alan ! regarding the noise do what we used to do at work with the real ones,make a large box and pad it out with accoustic foam,stick the box outside and somehow lead the feed into your workplace.Combined with one of Nigels cooker hoods you have a very nice piece of kit there.
The compressor isn't as noisy as I'd expected.

When it's running in the kitchen, it isn't really noticeable over the TV in the next room so it's fine for domestic environments. Obviously a £600 quid BAMBI dental compressor would be quieter but ya pays your money and makes yer choice.

I've never managed to work out the whole decibel scale though. It's supposed to be 50 or so decibels at 1m, but on the same scale a ladybird on tiptoe walking on carpet is about 35, someone eating pringles is about 70 and a blackbird SR71 taking off is about 100...and mobile phone ringtones are about 150.

I was thinking of the MDF box with acoustic foam inside, wouldn't have to go outside though. I wondered about fitting some 80mm Fans on there for some through air. The 12 volt PC kind with some removeable dust filters for a nice neat looking job and should push a fair amount of air.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Alan,if you make a successful box then lets see a picture here of it please,fan and MDF with cladding and plenty of breathing space sounds ideal.

B

Bunkerbarge

It's worth remembering that the decibel scale is not a linear scale it is actually an exponential scale and the measurement of sound can be quite subjective as distances from the source can vary with individuals etc.

You are right it is confusing!!

R

rjwood_uk

Did you buy a 14ml tin of humbrol enamel? That stuff is expensive!
i have a mixture of 14ml humbrol tins and 10ml tamiya. humbrol being enamel and tamiya being acrylic. will hopefully be adding some laqueres to my collection soon. either alclad or model masters. (anyone know which is best?)

B

Bunkerbarge

i have a mixture of 14ml humbrol tins and 10ml tamiya. humbrol being enamel and tamiya being acrylic. will hopefully be adding some laqueres to my collection soon. either alclad or model masters. (anyone know which is best?)
Richard, I would take care not to build up a collection just for the sake of having paint stocks. All paint has a shelf life beyond which it would not be of suitable quality so I would very much recommend that you buy paint for a specific purpose. You will obviously have a selection of small tins for detail work but you will find as the years move on that you will open an old tin that may have solidified so will no longer be usefull.

For a gloss finish on a model such as a car or motorcycle and before I ever could afford an airbrush, I would always buy a new tin of paint and a new brush to give me the best chance of that elusive perfect finish.

R

rjwood_uk

oh no richard you mis-understand what i ment. Yes i completely agree with you. All my paints are ones i have had to get to do models. and as so far i have done cars,motorbikes,planes,amrour,figures and some little dioramas i have got quite a selection.

I do not buy paints for the sake of it and like you if i am starting a new model i will usually get a new tin of paint. When i get a new model i have a look what paints they recomend, decide if i want to change of any of them...have a look what i already have and if i dont have one or i have one which is running low i will get a new tin of paint.

And i only ask about which are they best laquers as i will be using them on my F-16. So which are best? model masters of alclad?

B

Bunkerbarge

Sorry Richard, I don't have experience with either.

What was the Humbrol one, Metalkote or something? You painted it on and then polished it to a metallic shine. I used that a few times and was very happy but now I guess I'll have to try something new as well.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hot tip-Store paints inverted and place a dab of the colour on the base of the tin,this way air will not enter,tap the lid on firmly.

I managed to buy a few bankrupt lots over the years,but Richard is right paint formulae is consantly changing and needs careful storage.

I do like these Tamiya acrylics that Squiffy sells at rock bottom prices.