airbrush bent needle or not

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
daft question time!!
last couple of nights I have been painting and every now and then I get a small blob of paint spitting out but tonight I noticed it more and the crown seems to be building up paint on the bottom edge this is unusual normally I don't get any build up so there's the question is the tip of my needle bent?
I'm using a H&S evolution silver line and 0.2 needle
and advice would be most helpful I have a spare air brush but really like the H&S

thanks
simon

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Ok tried that the end point has a very slight bend, i think this would account for the blobs and build up in the crown
i will try to re sharpen it tomorrow failing that looks like i will need a new one and the sets not cheap good job Santa's coming
simon

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have been able to work these slight bends out in the past, provided the bend is on the tapered tip and not the shank. Good luck. :thumb2:

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have noticed that the very tip of H&S needled are very soft. I 'hooked the tip of a .15 while removing "tip dry" with a brush and thinners!!!
A bur on the tip can normally be found very quick and easy by dragging the needle on the back of your hand or stabbing a tissue! If there is the slightest resistance to the needle going in or out the tissue it has a snag.
Despite what the experts say it is fine to re-sharpen the point. A 1200 grit polishing pad is ideal. Pull the needle backwards on the wet pad while twisting it in your fingers. Just the slightest of pressure. Check the tip after each stroke...

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I have noticed that the very tip of H&S needled are very soft. I 'hooked the tip of a .15 while removing "tip dry" with a brush and thinners!!!
A bur on the tip can normally be found very quick and easy by dragging the needle on the back of your hand or stabbing a tissue! If there is the slightest resistance to the needle going in or out the tissue it has a snag.
Despite what the experts say it is fine to re-sharpen the point. A 1200 grit polishing pad is ideal. Pull the needle backwards on the wet pad while twisting it in your fingers. Just the slightest of pressure. Check the tip after each stroke...
The tips of my last 2 needles (H&S 0.3mm) were also very fragile, they 'splitted' both at the tip, barely visible but the accuracy is off...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Ian for the tip! Duly noted!

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
thank you that was my plan honest ...
top tip cheers

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A slightly bent needle can also produce an offset spray - doesn't really matter, just annoying! I've adjusted airbrush needles - especially the cheap Chinese ones - many times, using Crocus paper on a porcelain tile, using washing up liquid as a lubricant. You've nothing to lose in trying...............
Dave

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
A slightly bent needle can also produce an offset spray - doesn't really matter, just annoying! I've adjusted airbrush needles - especially the cheap Chinese ones - many times, using Crocus paper on a porcelain tile, using washing up liquid as a lubricant. You've nothing to lose in trying...............
Dave
Thanks dave will give it a blast as you said nothing to lose
simon

D

Deleted member 9606

I had a decentered tip on an old brush once. Caused all kinds of problems and it took forever to discover what the problem was. I ended up using a centering tool to bend the innards of the brush straight. I was told they use these tools in the factory.

0557660D-D703-4861-8142-BD552B44B4B2.jpegC0186426-B24B-44C1-A753-1CCD2323D57C.jpeg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Just like Ian says. I've saved / repaired a couple of needles this way.