Airbrush nozzle 0,2 or 0,4 mm for a beginner ?

Michelnou

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michel
Hi guys,
I have bought an Harder Steenbeck airbrush which can work with 0,2 or 0,4 nozzle.
Knowing that I am an airbrushing beginner, which nozzle do you recommend to me for training and then, I hope, painting a white metal 1/43 car scale model which include both bodywork (about 120 mm) and smaller elements (some mm) ?

Thanks for advices
Michel

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The nozzle you use will depend on two factors. Firstly the paint you're using and secondly the type of painting.
Generally the bigger the nozzle the wider the coverage and the thicker the paint which can be sprayed. The smaller nozzle will require thinner paint and you can work closer and spray more details. I find that the thicker paint/0.4 nozzle needs a higher pressure.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just to clarify. The larger nozzle will spray thicker paint but that does not mean the paint needs to be thicker. I thin the same regardless of the nozzle in use. The closer you work, the smaller the spray pattern and the lower the pressure you will need.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I totally agree with Jim, but I'd add that if you are a beginner you may find starting with the larger nozzle better as it should more amenable to less than perfect thinning ratios. Finer nozzles can clog more easily so I'd suggest waiting until you have a better knowledge of that side.

Once you have used the larger nozzle for a while and feel like it is holding you back from finer detail, try the smaller size.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The .2 nozzle can be more prone to clogging with model paint due to pigment size and thinning may not help much. The .4 needle will do you well. There are some model paints well suited to .2 such as MRP. My advice would be to use .4 until you have gained experience.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Practice! Get an old model & experiment! Use the 0.4mm to do a complete body coat, then try the same thing with the 0.2mm. Then try thin lines & aquiggles with them both. A session or two just getting used to the paint dilution, pressures etc will get you used to the abilities of each nozzle. Don't experiment on your in-progress model - use plastic bottles, yoghurt pots etc, anything that is worthless.
An hour or so spent just testing the airbrush ( and stripping & cleaning it ), will save you a lot of grief!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I hate to disagree with my esteemed colleagues above, but I also have an H & S with 0.2 and 0.4 nozzles, and I've never got on with the 0.4 so I use the 0.2 for everything. I use Vallejo Model Air, Tamiya and Mr Hobby paints.
Pete

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Just been using my Harder Steenbeck airbrush with a 02 nozzle this morning to spray up numerous parts on sticks and fuselage insides , on 2 kits on two go at moment, black primer, Yellow Chromate, and Silver, it a new Airbrush, I also have a Iwata Neo with a 3.5 nozzle which struggled to handle finer detail, the HS is great for detail I find, I use the Iwata for bigger paint jobs like total aircraft prime or anything I want to put a lot of paint on, they are both good at what they do

Michelnou

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michel
I thank you for all these answers.
I am conscious that I must practice to learn and "feel" the tool.
I still have to buy a compressor. The ones, made in China, equipped with a tank which are solled about 100 € are they usable ?
I suppose that I can start with water coloured with food colourant.
Thanks again

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I thank you for all these answers.
I am conscious that I must practice to learn and "feel" the tool.
I still have to buy a compressor. The ones, made in China, equipped with a tank which are solled about 100 € are they usable ?
I suppose that I can start with water coloured with food colourant.
Thanks again
I've been using my AS-186 Chinese compressor for many years ( it's sold under different brand names ), and has been very reliable. I initially practiced with ink on the inside of cornflake packets! The important thing to learn is the dilution of the paint. I generally spray at the same pressure - about 1.5 bar ( 22psi ).
I always mix my paint in plastic shot glasses, never in the airbrush cup............
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, I've been using one (AS-186S) since I started airbrushing (5 years?) and it's fine.
Pete

Edit: actually 7 years!

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would also recommend the AS186. I used one for five years or so. A nice cheap reliable compressor great for anyone starting out.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
You can only take the advice on board ,im afraid its one of thoes things where you have to teach yourself, ten diffrent people could spray the same kit but probably go about it it in ten diffrent ways ,within reason though the end result would be not to dissimilar ,as mentioned by Dave Ward a old kit used as a test crash dummy can be used again and again ,or Andy T's suggestion of a child's colouring book to teach your self by painting between the lines. Dont worry we've all been there and it won't happen over night just enjoy the learning curve its well worth while. Dave

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Have a look at the Scale Model Shop (here) John has a few compressors that might tempt you.
Airbrushing - H&S have a good reputation, although I now use a Chinese knock-off after using many of the major brands.
Be very carefull when changing your needle from one size to the other that you do not mix up the nozzles, it can be easily done (I know)....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Have a look at the Scale Model Shop (here) John has a few compressors that might tempt you.
Airbrushing - H&S have a good reputation, although I now use a Chinese knock-off after using many of the major brands.
Be very carefull when changing your needle from one size to the other that you do not mix up the nozzles, it can be easily done (I know)....
Yup, been there done that!
Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Here again with the stoopid question! Would it be possible to somehow mark needle and matching nozzle so you don't mix them up? I know H&S do this with grooves, but it seems destructive to file grooves anywhere on your A/B.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I remember doing that before they had to sence to mark the needle and the tips