Airbrush spray booth

barrybarfly

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Could someone with experience please confirm that a recirculating Benchvent BV300S spray booth should NOT vent any acrylic airbrushed paint out the back onto, for example, a bright white wall?

Many thanks,
Barry

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Barry. I've no experience with that spray booth. I looked it up, I presume that the BV300S is not externally ducted, but uses a re-circulatory method?

Sounds like a filtration issue to me. No paint particles should ever get through the filtration system, although you will get solvent fumes from the exhaust. It may be worth checking the filter(s) are installed correctly, and that you have an appropriate filter fitted (I see there are many options available depending on your use).

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution to the spray booth issue.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Could someone with experience please confirm that a recirculating Benchvent BV300S spray booth should NOT vent any acrylic airbrushed paint out the back onto, for example, a bright white wall?

Many thanks,
Barry

Hi Barry, could you explain why your exhaust outlet is facing a blank wall. Normal SOP would have the exhaust facing a window or through a vent that exits out to the outdoors.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Barry. I've no experience with that spray booth. I looked it up, I presume that the BV300S is not externally ducted, but uses a re-circulatory method?

Sounds like a filtration issue to me. No paint particles should ever get through the filtration system, although you will get solvent fumes from the exhaust. It may be worth checking the filter(s) are installed correctly, and that you have an appropriate filter fitted (I see there are many options available depending on your use).

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution to the spray booth issue.
Joe with the kind of spraying we do, filtration won't cut it. The fumes will still circulate unless there's a solvent that can kill the odor and chemicals. Must be a wonderful product.

Cheers,
Wabble

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Joe with the kind of spraying we do, filtration won't cut it. The fumes will still circulate unless there's a solvent that can kill the odor and chemicals. Must be a wonderful product.

Cheers,
Wabble
It looks like that particular booth is for a room where there is no opportunity to externally vent the exhaust (which is the best option). Presumable Barry is using water based acrylic paint. You would expect fumes (hence water based non-toxic acrylic paint), but never paint particles, to make it through the filters to such an extent that they spray his walls.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I wouldn't expect any filtration system to be 100% perfect at this level.

I believe that model has an extra carbon filter to reduce odours so should also catch more particles than the extraction version, but still not everything.

If the mark on the wall is your concern then how about placing some paper or card there, that can be changed once soiled?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Benchvent bv300S is described as a recirculating glue booth.

You need the Benchvent bv300S-D which is an extracting airbrush booth with a tube to throw out of a window.

You should not really airbrush in a confined space where you cannot have windows open.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not quite sure of your question here? Are you thinking of buying one and want to know if it will do this, or do you have one that is doing this and wonder why? l’ve not used one of these. Seen one in use though, and do have extensive experience in using bio and chemical containment systems, so understand how all this works. I’ll therefore try to answer you.

For the former, Andy’s suggestion is a cheap sensible option if this prospect worries you. I have a much cheaper spray booth that simply uses a push in particulate filter and this doesn’t happen to me. I’ve never been able to vent mine directly out of the window, so just allow it to vent into the room with the window open. I do wear a good mask though.

For the latter, breakthrough could be due to poorly fitted filters, though this looks a high quality unit so that shouldn’t be the case, or filter overload.
Overload can happen if the filter is at the end of its natural life or if the particulate challenge is too high (ie too much going through at once).

A HEPA filter like this isn’t a tea strainer mesh type filter. The best way to visualise it is by thinking of the filter matrix as a very deep maze that the particles have to negotiate to get out. The constant twists and turn mean the particles lose energy and momentum and eventually get stuck in corners or blind alleys in the maze, so can’t get through.

These HEPA type filters do eventually allow break through though. As the pockets and blind alleys load up with old particles, the new particles can get to the end of the maze. However, if this happens you would notice a marked drop in the filter face airflow velocity by that point.

I would say the primary design ethos of this booth is to reduce or eliminate overspray, so personally would wear appropriate PPE while using it for anything except water based acrylics. If you really want to eliminate all particles and solvents you would need to look at professional kit, designed for continuous use, which comes with a far larger price tag.

This one looks good to me for hobby use though.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Barry,
You should not be getting any over spray. All the 'dust' should be going through the filter(s), I would check to make sure they are fitted correctly and snug. And obviously the exhaust pipe has to go through the window (not litteraly).
I bought a similar cheapie design from Azon, and after inspection decided to keep the fan, exhaust pipe, turntable, filters and instructions and built my own from mdf using the assembly instructions as a guide.
And as the design of these spray booths are pretty much the same the problem has got to be a simple one to fix. I would start with the filters and then go to the exhaust fan and finally check the hose for any split(s) especially around the area you describe.

barrybarfly

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Not quite sure of your question here? Are you thinking of buying one and want to know if it will do this, or do you have one that is doing this and wonder why? l’ve not used one of these. Seen one in use though, and do have extensive experience in using bio and chemical containment systems, so understand how all this works. I’ll therefore try to answer you.

For the former, Andy’s suggestion is a cheap sensible option if this prospect worries you. I have a much cheaper spray booth that simply uses a push in particulate filter and this doesn’t happen to me. I’ve never been able to vent mine directly out of the window, so just allow it to vent into the room with the window open. I do wear a good mask though.

For the latter, breakthrough could be due to poorly fitted filters, though this looks a high quality unit so that shouldn’t be the case, or filter overload.
Overload can happen if the filter is at the end of its natural life or if the particulate challenge is too high (ie too much going through at once).

A HEPA filter like this isn’t a tea strainer mesh type filter. The best way to visualise it is by thinking of the filter matrix as a very deep maze that the particles have to negotiate to get out. The constant twists and turn mean the particles lose energy and momentum and eventually get stuck in corners or blind alleys in the maze, so can’t get through.

These HEPA type filters do eventually allow break through though. As the pockets and blind alleys load up with old particles, the new particles can get to the end of the maze. However, if this happens you would notice a marked drop in the filter face airflow velocity by that point.

I would say the primary design ethos of this booth is to reduce or eliminate overspray, so personally would wear appropriate PPE while using it for anything except water based acrylics. If you really want to eliminate all particles and solvents you would need to look at professional kit, designed for continuous use, which comes with a far larger price tag.

This one looks good to me for hobby use though.
Hi Tim,

Yes I am looking to buy a booth and am trying to check all the boxes beforehand. I'm not sure if it was your post on here somewhere which explained HEPA style filters in depth but it is my understanding that the paint particles should be contained barring any user error or lack of maintenance. I simply can't vent to a window as I only have a desk in the corner of our lounge for printing and painting!

To address some other replies.....
Fumes aren't an issue as it's just water based acrylics.
It's primarily blow back from my cardboard box (spray booth ) that I need to prevent in order to protect the room and pets who are further away than me.
I wear a mask so I'm protected regardless.
The room is a decent size and has doors either "end" allowing for good airflow through the room. A window at the far end and outside door in the adjacent room are also available when it's not freezing.
I worry that the cheaper units which aren't designated as recirculatory will simply allow paint particles to blow through their filters and these would potentially impact and stain the wall behind the desk/booth.

I hope this explains my concerns and requirements a bit more clearly and welcome any further advice!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hello Barry,
You should not be getting any over spray. All the 'dust' should be going through the filter(s), I would check to make sure they are fitted correctly and snug. And obviously the exhaust pipe has to go through the window (not litteraly).
I bought a similar cheapie design from Azon, and after inspection decided to keep the fan, exhaust pipe, turntable, filters and instructions and built my own from mdf using the assembly instructions as a guide.
And as the design of these spray booths are pretty much the same the problem has got to be a simple one to fix. I would start with the filters and then go to the exhaust fan and finally check the hose for any split(s) especially around the area you describe.
The point is that Benchvent describe this as a Glue booth, not an airbrush spray booth. I am wondering if the difference might be pigment size, spray paint may have a smaller particle than glue particles, hence some paint particulates getting thought. Also, of course, without extracting to the outside you could well get odour and particulates in your room. It’s not necessarily from overspray. Even with my bv300S extracting booth, if I don’t change the filter regularly, when I do a long spraying session it can smell out the room and, at times look ‘fuggy’ with particulates in the air. Frequent filter changes cure this though.

barrybarfly

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The point is that Benchvent describe this as a Glue booth, not an airbrush spray booth. I am wondering if the difference might be pigment size, spray paint may have a smaller particle than glue particles, hence some paint particulates getting thought. Also, of course, without extracting to the outside you could well get odour and particulates in your room. It’s not necessarily from overspray. Even with my bv300S extracting booth, if I don’t change the filter regularly, when I do a long spraying session it can smell out the room and, at times look ‘fuggy’ with particulates in the air. Frequent filter changes cure this though.
In the description it's also suitable for airbrushing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127_130700_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127_130700_com.android.chrome.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Graphicair sell it as a spray booth Barry. See here….
They also sell it in a number of package complete with airbrushes. If it wasn’t suitable I wouldn’t think they’d market it that way.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The Benchvent BV300 comes in two models. The S-D is vented to the outside air. The S is recirculating. Because it is recirculating it has a different set of filters, additional carbon I think. The S is actually slightly more expensive than the S-D probably because of the extra filtration needed. Because the S-D chucks the fumes and particles out of the window it doesn't need such an effective filter.

For carbon read charcoal - I knew it started with a C and was black :smiling:

Last edited:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I always thought the two were the same apart from the extraction or recirculation part but the data sheets say different.

The 'S runs an axial fan whereas the 'S-D has a centrifugal one, presumably to counteract the extra back pressure of the hose, where "squirrel cages" have the edge.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Interesting that the BV300S has a photo with Premi Air Liquid Reamer in it. That's a pretty smelly solvent, shifts most paints.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for that Barry. Useful to see the specifications side by side. The carbon filter makes a huge difference to the airflow velocity at the face doesn’t it. The airflow on your vented S-D is almost twice as high!

barrybarfly

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I'm hoping members can see my posts which say awaiting moderation for visitors? I've been feeling rude for not replying to everyone but am not sure you can see my replies! Lol

All things considered I think I'll definitely go for one of their recirculatory units (size being the only factor to consider) as I think it is the best solution for my given situation. This decision has been massively influenced not only by this thread but also threads on this site/forum I visited "as a guest" prior to joining. So for this I truly thank everyone for their knowledge.

I would like to be able to offer opinions on other threads but I don't seem to have posting privileges in most sections of the forum! Anyone know if/when that will change?

Thanks again!