Airbrushing - do you use a face mask?

M

munkster

Finally fired up the AB for my first time the other day - early days but it wasn't a disaster (!) which was a relief - quick Q though - do people tend to wear a mask when spraying and if so what type? Are the basic dust ones good enough or do I need to go more heavy duty?

I think I need to play around with the pressure I spray at because there was a cloud of paint every time I tried - surely that shouldn't happen? At that rate the home-made spray booth linked to elsewhere on here may have to be undertaken!!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have a JSP Maximask 2000 Twin Half Mask from B&Q (£30) with Organic gases and vapours filters with dust aerosol filter (EN141) on it.

R

Radleigh.

If youre doing alot in a small enclosed area I would personally.

M

munkster

OK - cheers both - that JSP mask seems to be more like £15 from B&Q unless I'm looking at the wrong one - that seems perfectly reasonable! Cheers...

A

andygh

I do most of my spraying out in the garage and I use the basic disposable facemasks. If I was doing a lot of spraying indoors I'd get something a little more efficient

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
OK - cheers both - that JSP mask seems to be more like £15 from B&Q unless I'm looking at the wrong one - that seems perfectly reasonable! Cheers...
there are two of them on their website with different filters fitted

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use one almost the same as that, Allyne but made by Dräger who make professional breathing protection systems. It to has the double can filters and there are a choice of filters. I have active carbon for spray work and a pair of ordinary dust filters for sanding work. As I use mostly waterbased acrylics I only put it on when doing metalics as the particals in those go everywhere. Also when using Humbrol and Alclad of course.

Only bad thing is that you cant poke a hole in the half mask to shove a fag through like you can with the paper dust masks!!! LOL

I got it via work so other than that I got it cheap (yes I paid for it!!!) I cant recall what the price was!

Ian M

S

snapper41

I use a 3M mask got from ebay. It's great - when you take it off, you realise how effective it was as you can smell the vapours left behind. A mask is vital if you're using stuff like Alclad, but I use one in all circumstances.

F

Fenlander

I use one to. Although I admit if it is a quick small job using acrylic, sometimes I don't put i on. No idea what make, I bought it ages ago from an airbrush supplier and has a single cartridge in the front.

B

Bunkerbarge

I love the hole for the fag Ian. It reminds me of Barry Sheene drilling a hole in the front of his helmet so he could have a fag on the grid!

I have B&Q disposable masks but also do a lot of spraying outside when it's warm and calm and use an extractor hood when I have to spray indoors.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yes,it's made by Sealey and has one cartrdge on the front. I got mine via one of the companies that I work with as they have a spray booth and sprayer who sprays aluminium trusses and other structures. Whatever they use for that is horrible stuff! I think it was about 40 quid but I'm sure that I paid what they pay,hopefully a good deal.

It may sometimes feel like overkill,particularly when spraying acrylic paints which don't smell. The aerosol is still there though. Why gamble with your health for the price of a couple of kits?

Cheers

Steve

M

munkster

Cool, thanks for all the replies - looks like the sensible option is to "get a mask" then!

E

Edgar Brooks

If you're tempted by the disposable paper masks, pick one up, and shake it, then try to visualise all that dust arriving on your model.

Edgar

M

munkster

flounder_al - got one of those £30 masks from B&Q and been using it today... What a difference, cheers for the recommendation, works great - and with the bonus of being able to do a great Darth Vader impression whilst wearing it. Not that I did, oh no no no...

AFC

First Name
Andre
Hi All,

would you advise any of these? I don't paint that much and thus would like something cheap...

Mask 1

Mask 2

and the cheapest one :smiling3:

Mask 3

Thanks

Cheers

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
3M 6000series not expecive and comes with pp3 filters there protect against everything except pertrolium vapours you need charcoal filter kit for that - 3 sizes available and recomended life of 5 years filter£2.00 per pair anyone want any let me know cost around £10.00 not including postage but available through most industrial suppliers

simon

AFC

First Name
Andre
Hi,

can you pls pm with a mask pic?

Also, do you mean the filters need to be changed every 5yrs?

cheers

AC

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
View attachment 26400

no the life of the filters under normal use would be around 3 months thats daily 4-8 hour's use do the sums probable every year?- the mask has a recomended life expectancey of 5 yrs,

you should be able to get them locally industrial suppliers.

View attachment 32365

images.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AFC

First Name
Andre
Thanks.

£10 + pp (1 pair of filters for spray painting incl)?

When would you be able to post one?

Cheers

First Name
Dave
ive only just started using a mask.ive got a big shed (16'x8') that i do all my modeling in.Im carefull how i spray the paint and didnt think i needed mask.Then one day after a lot of spraying i noticed my glasses had a film on the lenses and needed a good clean even though i couldnt smell the vapours.So now i wear a mask!.