Airfix 1/12 4.5 Litre Bentley Blower

First Name
Noel
Those Misko Models are absolutely huge in 1/5th scale.
The detailing is a good reference point for anyone building the old 1/12th scale Airfix kit as just putting even 1/4 that detailing on it will improve it no end.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I just hope some of my cockamamie ideas and solutions give you some sort of help when things don’t go according to plan even now as I look at my finished model I see the bonnet straps have snapped so now I need to do a repair on them
Clearly the straps have perished over the year that this model was finished so I will probably now glue all the bonnet sections together so it’s like a single unit and add the straps afterwards merely for show without putting any stress on them this time
Depending on their state I may end up scratch building them out of something more durable than their current which is a sort of moulded rubber which clearly has gone hard and brittle no doubt due to exposure to the atmosphere this again points to another reason for building a cover to keep the model covered & the environment at bay

Regards

Colin

First Name
mark
Making my bonnet straps out of Leather and fabricated buckles. Some of your mods are really cool . I was too late seeing them would have loved to redo my springs.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Bentley Bonnet Repair
So after discovering my straps had snapped I have now glued all 4 sections of the bonnet together using spare model deck planking sheet from my HMS Hood build this has now given a solid box like construction to the whole assembly and the wood planking is so thin and curved that when painted will be invisible in normal viewing
I then reassembled the straps and used a paper backing strip on the joins underneath this gave the glue something to bite onto instead of a plain ragged edge butt joint that would have otherwise been left
All I have to now is a major cleanup and repaint of said bonnet which just drops into place as a single unit whereas before you had 4 separate pieces joined by some useless pin hinges inside and the bonnet straps glued on at the base of each lower section with the rest loose so you could display the engine by raising the lower cover and folding it back over the top well that can’t happen with mine now if I want to display the engine my whole bonnet assembly get removed

Regards

Colin52FD0C3A-83C6-4C44-A0E5-CDD07DE31477.jpeg96A27C83-2FAB-4B95-B773-25C02E612081.jpegFC23D733-36A3-4A6E-B524-81456AFA32D0.jpeg

Last edited:
First Name
John
I've looked at this about 90 times, never get tired!
I have this same kit and am hoping to achieve the same quality of build when seen from 50 yards away
The paint suggestions say "silver" for the engine is that metallic or flat silver?
i bought aluminium and mettallic silver which is right?

You have some really good skills and Thank You for sharing.
After looking at your build ,I was inspired to tackle this for myself.

First Name
mark
I've looked at this about 90 times, never get tired!
I have this same kit and am hoping to achieve the same quality of build when seen from 50 yards away
The paint suggestions say "silver" for the engine is that metallic or flat silver?
i bought aluminium and mettallic silver which is right?

You have some really good skills and Thank You for sharing.
After looking at your build ,I was inspired to tackle this for myself.
Thank you for your kind words. I have built 2 Pocher models in the past , After buying the mods for the Pochers the cost was 3X what I paid for the model. but I just cannot help myself upgrading anything. I am a retired Auto restoration expert. And manly British cars. Enjoy building your Bentley. I cannot wait to see the Pixs.. Cheers Mark