Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon , a look inside the box pt 1

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Does look good and the detail looks superb, should make into a magnificent model...pity it is so expensive :sad: Si:smiling3:
Yes Si its not a pocket money kit but look at it another way....

There are hours of work and on a £/hour it should work out great value compared to say a trip to the cinema, a meal out or even an evening in the pub.

You are also buying a quality kit and unlike so many cheaper kits you don't have to buy much by way of aftermarket parts to get a great result. I am getting some RB Productions seat belts and may well get some brass gun barrels as well, on the basis that such a great kit deserves that bit extra but a superb result can be obtained without.

There is one problem with the kit many are reporting. The canopy is terribly distorted, some worse than others. Mine is not too bad but holding it up to then light it is clear something went wrong with the molding process. I have reported it to Airfix and one thing we all know about them is their superb after-sales service. They may have some production issues to solve before we get replacement parts though.

It will be a while before I build mine. When I do I may just go for that scheme with the blue spinner and shark mouth.....

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yes Si its not a pocket money kit but look at it another way....There are hours of work and on a £/hour it should work out great value compared to say a trip to the cinema, a meal out or even an evening in the pub.

You are also buying a quality kit and unlike so many cheaper kits you don't have to buy much by way of aftermarket parts to get a great result. I am getting some RB Productions seat belts and may well get some brass gun barrels as well, on the basis that such a great kit deserves that bit extra but a superb result can be obtained without.

There is one problem with the kit many are reporting. The canopy is terribly distorted, some worse than others. Mine is not too bad but holding it up to then light it is clear something went wrong with the molding process. I have reported it to Airfix and one thing we all know about them is their superb after-sales service. They may have some production issues to solve before we get replacement parts though.

It will be a while before I build mine. When I do I may just go for that scheme with the blue spinner and shark mouth.....
Thanks for pointing that out Barry , mines not to bad so I won't be changing it as it won't be noticeable on the finished build,

It looks to me like it's a storage problem or a cooling problem and we will find that out when we build them , no parts should be warped but f they are it's a storage problem and if it's just the canopy then it's a cooling problem

P

Polux

Nice choice Alan!

It will be a while before I build mine as well...and I will modify mine.

But first I want to finish the Stuka ;)

In winter I will go for this and the 1/16 tank :rolleyes:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
At the moment I'm on a hawker hunter but after that I'm starting my1/48 Stuka to get the feel for my 1/24 Stuka :smiling3: then another couple of easy builds then it's down to business with this 1/24 typhoon :smiling3:

P

Polux

I think this Typhoon is looking for the rainy and cold winter days... ;)

B

bluebottle

Hopefully, they will move ALL their production back here, as that canopy error is not easily checked , especially as it's done abroad...

I'll have to see in the next few days if it affects mine..

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi guys, check this link out, just to throw a spanner in the decal works :confused:

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/07/a-new-look-for-your-big-typhoon.html?m=1

Good luck o_O

Lee :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Hi guys, check this link out, just to throw a spanner in the decal works :confused:http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/07/a-new-look-for-your-big-typhoon.html?m=1

Good luck o_O

Lee those are the same markings that come in the kit , what's the point in buying the same ones again :confused:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
\ said:
Lee those are the same markings that come in the kit , what's the point in buying the same ones again :confused:
I see!...no I didnt...blatantly! :oops: :sad:

P

Polux

I'm looking the model......is not a pity apply the decals ?, well, almost the big circles. They will cover all the panel lines and the littles holes...

How about to paint them...? so much difficult...? O_o

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I'm looking the model......is not a pity apply the decals ?, well, almost the big circles. They will cover all the panel lines and the littles holes...How about to paint them...? so much difficult...? o_O
Paint them:eek: Rather you than me mate oh hang on this is Polux I'm talking toView attachment 85936

image.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Paint them:eek: Rather you than me mate oh hang on this is Polux I'm talking toView attachment 86343
LOL

But it is not such a bad idea. Painted roundels etc look so much better. I tried it on my 1/32 Martlett which was an adaption from the Trumpeter Wildcat and I used paint masks for the job. The small stencils were all decals but all the major markings were painted using masks. They really do look so much better. There are several makes of masks and some will do 'custom' masks if you want to build a specific aircraft

Here is one of the brands out there: http://shop.maketar.com/

First Name
Dave
\ said:
LOLBut it is not such a bad idea. Painted roundels etc look so much better. I tried it on my 1/32 Martlett which was an adaption from the Trumpeter Wildcat and I used paint masks for the job. The small stencils were all decals but all the major markings were painted using masks. They really do look so much better. There are several makes of masks and some will do 'custom' masks if you want to build a specific aircraft

Montex are another paint mask company.Available from 'a2zee models' and Hannants.j

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
LOLBut it is not such a bad idea. Painted roundels etc look so much better. I tried it on my 1/32 Martlett which was an adaption from the Trumpeter Wildcat and I used paint masks for the job. The small stencils were all decals but all the major markings were painted using masks. They really do look so much better. There are several makes of masks and some will do 'custom' masks if you want to build a specific aircraft

I wouldn't trust myself to do it , I think I'll stick to the decals it's safer :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

Mine arrived today but I'm not going to see it until September, so many thanks for sharing the in the box shots for me to enjoy!

Mine isn't going to get made for a while either but I didn't want to miss out on it like I did with the Mossie and had to pay silly money to get hold of one!

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
that is going to be a big plane when built , a lot of guys over here in the local model shop have been waiting with baited breath for it to come out it looks well detailed