Airfix 1/35 M36B1Gmc tank destroyer "abandoned"

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If I may give a few tips? The little flaps over the periscopes, in the drivers’ hatches, should be at about a 45 degree angle, so they sit right on top of the periscopes themselves. On the real thing, these are spring-loaded so they get pushed up by the periscopes and snap shut again when those are removed. The rear hull plate seems to be at a very strange angle :smiling3: It should be up against the vertical rear edges of the side plates.

Did the kit come with those etched headlamp guards?

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
If I may give a few tips? The little flaps over the periscopes, in the drivers’ hatches, should be at about a 45 degree angle, so they sit right on top of the periscopes themselves. On the real thing, these are spring-loaded so they get pushed up by the periscopes and snap shut again when those are removed. The rear hull plate seems to be at a very strange angle :smiling3: It should be up against the vertical rear edges of the side plates.

Did the kit come with those etched headlamp guards?
Thanks for those pointers this is why I rarely build tanks but am I right in thinking that this is a reboxing of another company

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As far as I know, all the current Airfix 1:35 military vehicle kits are reboxed Academy. I have the Academy M36B2, and I suspect the turret sprues are the same between your kit and mine :smiling3: The difference is that the basic M36 had a different upper hull, with sloping sides, and the M36B1 like you have, used a standard Sherman hull instead. The M36B2 had a wider suspension — which Academy have missed on their kit, apparently falling into the old trap that the armoured roof is what makes it a B2.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I am going to abandon this build as I just can't get on the tanks of any sort so I will be putting it up for grabs in the correct section.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's a shame, Peter. I guess it happens to us all at sometime or other, but re-reading the thread thus far, I don't really blame you..... ;)

Onwards and upwards.