AIRFIX 1/400 DAS BOOT U-BOAT.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Last Monday I picked up a surprise package from the post office, my online pal Alan sent me a submarine, he told me wasn't going to do anything with it and wondered if I could make use of it...er, yes indeed sir and a big thank you.

So, what did I do, well was thinking of doing another small scale sunken one on the lines of Ron's superb small scale sunken sub...but then, I thought I would bite the bullet and do a Atlantic Ocean surface runner. This is a tiny thing and I was very unsure if I would be able to do it, after the 1/72 Dakota fiasco this seemed damned near impossible...but I have a had a good couple of days regarding the shaking and back pain and knuckled down.

I just hope that I have done the model and you proud Alan.

So, the sub was cleaned, as you do, the hull painted in light grey, the lower hull black, the conning tower, guns etc in a darker grey, note the absence of ack-ack gun railings...this model doesn't come with any and I was in no way going to attempt to scratch built at this scale, this is OOB, no filler, no faffing. I sanded the hull down to give a more waterline profile and it is slightly angled to give the model some movement. The base is painted in grey with ocean blue specks. Once dry the model was assembled and then a light rust wash added, once dry the model was matt varnished. Attached to the board via silicone and then silicone built up, while tacky I AB the surface and added some enamel white and lightly sponged. The grey water looks cold and works well for the middle of the Atlantic.

Just got the base to varnish but calling this finished.

Si:smiling3:

View attachment 72270

View attachment 72271

View attachment 72272

View attachment 72273

View attachment 72278

DSCF2107.JPG

DSCF2104.JPG

DSCF2102.JPG

DSCF2108.JPG

DSCF2121.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Looks like she just came back up to the surface for some fresh air...
Could well be Steve, anyway it doesn't look too nice on the surface lol.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top job Si , it looks brilliant . Its got a real feel of a stormy atlantic swell , i bet it surfaced so they could all be sick out of the hatch!!! cheers tony

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Looks great mate I'm glad you could make use of it I had no idea what to do with and you've done a fantastic job of it :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Great job Si. Most important you are able to get to it OK & enjoy yourself doing it. Also very matey of your pal to send the sub.

Laurie

W

Wittmann205

Great job man! looks so real ...amazing ;)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8190 mit Tapatalk

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Top job Si , it looks brilliant . Its got a real feel of a stormy atlantic swell , i bet it surfaced so they could all be sick out of the hatch!!! cheers tony
I agree on that score, a strong stomach would be needed, especially in a rolling sea...:confused:

Glad you like my lickle U-boat Tony.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Looks great mate I'm glad you could make use of it I had no idea what to do with and you've done a fantastic job of it :smiling3:
Thanks Alan, for the sub and the comment, glad she has turned out okay. Was really small and fiddly but it came out great and I surprised myself my doing something this small...may not have a go again though lol.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thanks Alan, for the sub and the comment, glad she has turned out okay. Was really small and fiddly but it came out great and I surprised myself my doing something this small...may not have a go again though lol.Si:smiling3:
No probs glad you like it :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Great job Si. Most important you are able to get to it OK & enjoy yourself doing it. Also very matey of your pal to send the sub.Laurie
Thank you Laurie, it is very kind of him to send it to me and I am pleased I managed to make it without too much difficulty. All this little projects I am doing I am trying to get my AB skills in place so I can tackle your stash with a good degree of success. Glad you like my efforts Laurie, means a lot, thank you.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
No probs glad you like it :smiling3:
Yeah, had a great time and was so unexpected just really enjoyed it, thanks again mate, I owe you one.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Great job man! looks so real ...amazing ;) Gesendet von meinem GT-I8190 mit Tapatalk
Thanks Benny, pleased you like it and thanks for stopping by.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yeah, had a great time and was so unexpected just really enjoyed it, thanks again mate, I owe you one.Si:smiling3:
Nah mate you don't , it would have just stayed in my stash for years , I'm chuffed that you liked it and really pleased to see what a great job you made of it so that's payment enough :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Nah mate you don't , it would have just stayed in my stash for years , I'm chuffed that you liked it and really pleased to see what a great job you made of it so that's payment enough :smiling3:
pleased to see what a great job you made of it so that's payment enough
What would the payment be if I made a total cockup... :D

P

Polux

The Atlantic Ocean is a very nice place...as your submarine Si!!

Fantastic build!! Love it!

Cherrs. Polux

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
What would the payment be if I made a total cockup... :D Si:smiling3:
I'd make you strip it down and start again lol

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I'd make you strip it down and start again lol
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
The Atlantic Ocean is a very nice place...as your submarine Si!!Fantastic build!! Love it!

Cherrs. Polux
Thanking you sir, wouldn't want to be in sub of this era in the Atlantic when a storm was a brewing...nice or not lol. Really pleased you drop in and for leaving a lovely comment, appreciate it mate.

C

CDW

Nice job Si.

Particularly like the top right image .... Looks like its just broken the surface.