Airfix 1/48 Canadair Sabre F.4

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Again Steve, you’re being way too hard on yourself. It’s fine - honestly we are our own worst critics.
You stuck with it and finished it. That’s gotta feel good huh?
Stick with it my man, every one is better than the last. That’s the way it is. We build, we learn we improve.
You should be proud of your Sabre. Way way better than a measly 4/10.
Thanks, I honestly appreciate your comments but I have to disagree. it's far from fine, I'm not expecting it to be great or even good, I would just like to put it on my shelf and be happy with it.. yeah, not this time. Still, at least I finished it even it if does look poor.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks, I honestly appreciate your comments but I have to disagree. it's far from fine, I'm not expecting it to be great or even good, I would just like to put it on my shelf and be happy with it.. yeah, not this time. Still, at least I finished it even it if does look poor.
I'm only on my fourth kit. Yeah, I cold tear every one apart but every one is better than the previous build. I have experimented, dabbled with things I was going to shy away from but these guys on here said "do this', 'try that". I did and to differing degrees of success. Not brilliant but each time I learned something.
Anyway, who you trying to impress? Do you enjoy building them? I'm currently very un impressed with my Sea King. SWMBO reckons it's just how she remembers them. That's good enough for me.
I still think you're being too harsh on yourself. You're on the bottom of the ladder, only been doing it a few months, some of these guys have been doing it on and off for years.
Seriously, you're doing ok, the Sabre proves it.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it's far from fine
Sure, it’s not the greatest model you’ll ever see, but I don’t notice anything obviously wrong with it. It looks to me like a perfectly acceptable model that a lot of people would be happy to have on their shelves — but, of course, if you’re the one who built it you will see things that you feel you could have done better, even if others don’t. “Next time!” is the best follow-up thought, IMHO.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Damn fine effort Sir :cool:

Can you find faults, of course I think we are all our own biggest critics but it looks good!

As the other guys have said you are improving with each build and learning all the time and that’s great…..and I still think it looks good:thumb2:

Geoff.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Your Sabre looks good from here Steve. Your paint work in particular is clean and crisp. My models from 10 years ago look like something from the caves compared to what I can produce now.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Definitely more than a 4 for me Steve if you take in where you're at from where you started. Progressive builds will improve if you haven't lost the passion. I'm still adding bits I learn to my repertoire for the last fifty years. Problem is amnesia is fast catching up from behind so I don't know if what I'm learning now is repetitive. :smiling6: Now I don't care about deadlines and just enjoy building although competitions do give me a rush.

Cheers,
Wabble

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You made a great job of that. Well built and painted.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hey Steve dont beat yourself up. That looks great and each build takes you further. Having read through your post I noticed you had a tough time with painting your wheels. Here are a couple of tips for you that i use. 1 Paint the inside wheel hubs first then get a fine black permanent marker pen and run it in the ridge where the tyre meets the hub. This will give you a neat black line to paint up too. Method 2 If you have a small drill attach the wheel to the drill using either a cocktail stick or by blue tacking it to a drill bit. Make sure the wheel is centred and set the drill going slowly. Get some paint on your brush and just hold it to the wheel hub and hey presto, job done. Good luck.