Airfix 1/72 bf109e-4 Franz von Werra

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres something ive been thinking about for a while and last week finally got round to acquiring one . Its the Airfix 1/72 bf109e-4 in the markings of Franz von Werra . Von Werra was the only enemy POW to escape and return to Germany and back to active duty. His story is very interesting ( not just the escapes but his earlier service in France , where he had a pet lion cub , Simba!)
Its too long to describe in full here but look him up its a great read .
His aircraft was damaged in a dogfight and he belly landed in a field in Kent , being captured by an unarmed cook ! I intend to pose the model as it was found in the field , there are a couple of good photographs for reference, i may include a couple of figures, just depends if i can find some that look about right. IMG_3748.jpegIMG_3749.jpegIMG_3750.jpegIMG_3751.jpegIMG_3768.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Sounds a great build Tony. A very interesting story to go along with the modelling. It would be nice if you could find suitable figures for Von Werra and the cook.

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Sounds a great build Tony. A very interesting story to go along with the modelling. It would be nice if you could find suitable figures for Von Werra and the cook.
Cheers jim , ive been having a good look and there seems to be a lack of suitable pilots ( ie. Standing , parachute still packed ) , as for the cook , anybodys guess ?! What I have ordered though is a Zvezda set of British figures which im hoping to use . The set has a couple of helmeted figures that look very similar to Home Guard chaps so Im hoping to have these stood guarding the aircraft . Cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well a bit of bench time yesterday and today and this is really moving along . I got the cockpit done yesterday , not a bad effort from Airfix , perfectly adequate for the scale just needing some aftermarket belts( Eduard) . With a bit of careful painting it turned out ok . The airframe soon went together and in no time its looking ready for primer. Ive left off the cowling under the engine as this looks to have been dislodged and is seen slightly to the side . The panel has been deformed with a bit of heat from a candle ( dont tell JR!) and the prop has also been heated and bent , Ive also put a dent in the spinner . IMG_3770.jpegIMG_3769.jpegIMG_3756.jpegIMG_3757.jpegIMG_3758.jpegIMG_3759.jpegIMG_3764.jpegIMG_3771.jpegIMG_3774.jpegIMG_3773.jpeg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good looking aircraft that.
Coming together well Tony. Are you nuts, that cockpit is good and proper tiny!

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well a bit of bench time yesterday and today and this is really moving along . I got the cockpit done yesterday , not a bad effort from Airfix , perfectly adequate for the scale just needing some aftermarket belts( Eduard) . With a bit of careful painting it turned out ok . The airframe soon went together and in no time its looking ready for primer. Ive left off the cowling under the engine as this looks to have been dislodged and is seen slightly to the side . The panel has been deformed with a bit of heat from a candle ( dont tell JR!) and the prop has also been heated and bent , Ive also put a dent in the spinner . View attachment 504827View attachment 504828View attachment 504830View attachment 504831View attachment 504832View attachment 504833View attachment 504834View attachment 504835View attachment 504836View attachment 504837
Looking good Tony, taking a seat. It looks like I did the pre and you are doing the post take-off! Great timing!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
These figures are like rocking horse poop. Many model shops advertise them but none are in stock and will never be
TBH, I got that impression from Preiser’s web site, too. They’re not in the catalog but are in the price list, which kind of implies they still have them in stock but might not?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Cockpit looks great. A lot of progress and all looking neat. Love the damage and the idea of Dad's Army guards.
I read a book about the Home Guard. Far removed from the TV Dad's Army. Very dedicated, hard working, organised bunch in reality.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I read a book about the Home Guard. Far removed from the TV Dad's Army. Very dedicated, hard working, organised bunch in reality.
If you can find a copy of David Newbold's thesis 'British Planning and Preparations to Resist Invasion on Land - September 1939-September 1940' it has sections on the LDV/Home Guard which supports this. They were determined and, eventually, well trained and reasonably armed. When the regular Army committed to working with them (not always the case) they were generally appreciative and found the local knowledge of the guards to be indispensable. As a naval power, Britain has a long tradition of raising militias of the sort that Elizabeth I addressed at Tilbury, and that is what the Home Guard really was.

Last edited:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
TBH, I got that impression from Preiser’s web site, too. They’re not in the catalog but are in the price list, which kind of implies they still have them in stock but might not?
I have no idea how they can run a business like that. I tried ordering from UK stores. Waited months and nothing. Then I even went to online to German stores to order and could only reserve - that was about a year ago. I also went to the Preiser site and they say they only deal with stores! Both funny and frustrating. It must be a cover up for money laundering or something lol

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
If you can find a copy of David Newbold's thesis 'British Planning and Preparations to Resist Invasion on Land - September 1939-September 1940' it has sections on the LDV/Home Guard which supports this. They were determine and, eventually, well trained and reasonably armed. When the regular Army committed to working with them (not always the case) they were generally appreciative and found the local knowledge of the guards to be indispensable. As a naval power, Britain has a long tradition of raising militias of the sort that Elizabeth I addressed at Tilbury, and that is what the Home Guard really was.
They had some special forces units as well IIRC