Airfix 1:72 Bf109E completed

D

Doug Hughes

This is the second kit I've completed since coming back to the hobby after a long break. It has a number of 'firsts' for me, including:

- First time using an airbrush

- First time using acrylic paints

- First time masking a canopy (using the Eduard mask) instead of painting bits of sellotape and sticking them on

- First attempt at weathering (very light touch this time - just a Flory wash to accentuate the panel lines and dirty up the underside a bit, and some of the Tamiya Weathering Master for the exhaust stain).

The transfers are by Xtradecal - I wanted to make an example with lots of yellow, rather than using the kit transfers.

Overall I'm pretty pleased - it's a great improvement on my previous effort (not posted on here!), and I look forward to improving more and trying out some different techniques in future.

Thanks to those on this forum who have offered their advice on airbrushing - it was invaluable and much appreciated.

View attachment 75932

View attachment 75933

View attachment 75934

View attachment 75935

View attachment 75936

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3149.JPG

IMG_3150.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That looks fantastic Doug, its a testament to the quality of the build and painting that I had to look again to see what scale it is , it could be 1/32 . Good call on the aftermarket decals too , the colours look brilliant . very impressive looking 109 , cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

What a lovely little job. If this is only your second kit after a return to the hobby you should be feeling very pleased with yourself and if that is your first crack at an airbrush you have done a superb job on the camouflage.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Stunning build, 1/72 as Tony said it could have been much larger if you hadn't told us. Great paint work and finishing.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I can't achieve that level of quality with working on various models for months, never mind a break away and then only my second build! Totally superb, the AB is quality as is the build, very neat.

Top marks from me.

Si:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
1/72! You aving a giraffe!

That is seriously good. Well done that man!

Ian M

W

Willi262

I like that last pic, like it's saying "dare me to jump?"

First Name
Mike
That's seriously nice. Great job of aligning everything perfectly too, the view from the front show it's perfectly symmetrical. Very impressed.

K

Kressy_13

Nice work mate, great finish and the paint is superb. Congrats.

First Name
Dave
You've made a great job of that. Superb paint work.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nicely done. It's well built and painted. You certainly chose a difficult camouflage scheme, particularly in 1/72, but then you went and nailed it !

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Richard
Hi Doug,

That looks fantastic.

superb paint job.

Cheers Richi

P

Polux

That is fantastic! Looks very clean and tidy build.

Cheers

Polux

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant build Doug....Very well done on one excellent model...