Airfix 1/72 Zero Starter Set

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work on the cockpit Al , it looks like a really nice kit , especially at that price! I might have to look out for one of these , cheers tony

M

MPal

Thanks Tony

Yeah its a nice kit, shame a lot of the detail in this scale is lost as soon as you close up the fuselage.

I also counter sunk some drill holes in the port side interior where there are dials on the real thing, and used a cocktail stick to pick these out in anthracite.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start and Great work on the cockpit Al, done like the zero, and so nice off you to say what paints your useing,

a good help, as there tricky look forward to seeing more

M

MPal

Thanks Monica :smiling3:

I have to say its an absolutely lovely little kit so far. I just cant stop doing more with it, it just seems to fall together.

There looks to be very little in the way of seams that need filling. The only bit I can see so far is the port side of the gun cowling, as there is a bit of a gap, but nothing major.

D

Doug Hughes

Looking good. I've got one of these on the go at the moment. Good tip about the cowling/gun sight. I'd noticed it might not fit, but thought I could bend things a bit to get it in. But you're right - there's no reason not to install it at the same time as the cockpit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good work here. It all looks very nice.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great stuff Al, this is looking like a great little kit to build. Good progress reports too, handy for those of us who will build this one later. Your cockpit looks very good.

M

MPal

It's a lovely kit to build. No filler needed after all.

Not sure about the colour though:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along very nicely ,no gaps at all

its like an off white with a touch off that green in it too me ,H 311 gray think its a mr color hobby color hope that off some help :rolleyes:

View attachment 78517

PR-Zero-051a.jpg

M

MPal

Looks lovely there Monica. It looks a little beige in yours too?

I tried some preshading on this with a Black Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen, as I brush paint.

Plan is too gloss it and decal it, then use a wash in the panel lines before using a satin varnish.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thank you, will like to see how that turns out, and maybe a couple off washer with an off white/cream ?

,you know i realy cannot remember how i mixed the paint, i do that alot dont wright down what i use and i must start too,

and i think thats the only plane i ever made without heavy weathering

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice paint job on the Zero. Yours is nice too Monica, very sharp. There was a discussion about Zero IJN greys a wee while ago if you wanted to search for it. I think I painted my original Zero in Humbrol 28 which is 'camouflage grey'. It is more beige than green, much like Monica's colour.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi joe thank you , ta for the info will see if i can find some think on it,

on a light note why the colors are so hard to work out on Japanese plains is they were never in the war :oops: :rolleyes:

M

MPal

Thanks

Havent made much progress as I have been busy with other things

The flash has made the engine look a lot more silver than it is.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good see your done a little chipping along the leading edgers, have the same happen as well some times the color seen alot brighter than it is

keep up the good work

M

MPal

I think you can also see some preshading at work here. Although now I think another thin coat of paint may have been in order. No going back now though, I think the varnish and weathering will help dull the effect a little.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good and yes you can still see the preshading, well i do think that is a very close color, what did you use ?