Airfix 1/72 Zero Starter Set

M

MPal

\ said:
looking good and yes you can still see the preshading, well i do think that is a very close color, what did you use ?
Thanks Monica. Its actually just the Humbrol 90 acrylic that came with the kit. It looks much better in the above photo taken without a flash. Should have this finished in the next few days I think.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thank you for that will make a note off it,

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice she turned out well,like the shading as also , :D

i use a fine pair off nail nippers the type you get in the chemist , just smaller and finer than small side-cutters

M

MPal

Thanks Monica. Hope to weather and varnish it tomorrow.

I have decided to give the panel line wash a miss, as they are quite deep anyway on this kit, and quite visible.

With regards the parts that were snapped. I actually found them already snapped on the sprue when I came to remove them. The plastic on that corner seemed quite brittle. No biggy as I have managed to replace them with something passable I think :smiling3:

A

Andy Mac

That's looking real nice so far, you've done a good job of making it look "used".

A

AlasdairGF

Yep, looking very good. This is turning to be a popular wee model, I reckon - I really enjoyed this one too. Also broke pitot tube before finishing it!

M

MPal

\ said:
Yep, looking very good. This is turning to be a popular wee model, I reckon - I really enjoyed this one too. Also broke pitot tube before finishing it!
I had actually looked at your thread previously Alasdair, and it helped me decide on going with the Humbrol 90.

The little trim tabs on the wings are fiddly, but this is how I do mine. I squeeze some white tack onto a cocktail stick, and use this to pick up the small part, orientated in such a way that it can be fitted. I put a dab of glue on some card, and lightly dab the part onto the glue. Then I position it on the aircraft in the right place, and the glue should (after a few seconds) have more stick than the white tack, and you can just gently pull it away.

Hope that explanation makes sense!?? :smiling3:

Well, this one is nearly finished now. I only went for subtle soot staining, as this aircraft was only a couple of weeks old when used at Pearl Harbour, so wouldnt have been as battered as we are used to seeing a Zero portrayed. I didnt do a panel line wash as the lines are deep, and the preshading is sufficient I think.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
yep she is a great build i do like it alot,as you said they were new when hitting Pearl, :D

i real like the shadow lines did you do them with a black pen ?

M

MPal

Thanks Monica.

Yeah the preshading was done using a black Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen. Making sure to leave it a good few hours to dry, otherwise the ink runs and smudges when applying the paint.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
;) oh nice thank you very much i think you may off said that before been longer day to read all just lazy :rolleyes:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Top stuff, love the pre-shading and the overall look. Great work on a lovely looking fighter.

Si:smiling3:

M

MPal

Now finished, and in Completed Aeroplanes

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/airfix-a6m2b-zero-1-72-starter-set.26601/