Airfix captin scott's discovery

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
i found this at my local boot sale it cost me only a fiver.and it's all there but what i want to know should i make it or not as most things this old (see the price on the box)always end up on ebay but with me it's a model and it should be made.let's have your thought's??

View attachment 52732

100_0216.jpg

P

Polux

He looks like a very old model.

But it's a ship with great history, the " Terra nova " isn't it?

It's his centenary and does very little his remains were discovered I believe... I would like to construct, a serious challenge, and if there are very old pieces or without details, you can do scratch built in it.!!

My vote is to go forward!!!

What material is made?

Regards

Polux

M

mobear

why cant i get stuff like this at any of my local car boots(aaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh)on the plus side it looks an awesome model

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd build it.

I haven't built a ship since I was about 12 years old but I'd give it a go.

23 shillings and sixpence in old money and an expensive kit at the time....... that's £1.17 in todays money which makes you think!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
captin scott's discovery

polux the kit is plastic and in good condition and it is the dicovery from his first expedition whitch still around but i dont know where.mobear finding things like this is pot luck although getting there early helps becouse i have missed out on some good things only a few months ago i seen some one with a tamiya 1/12 wolf.but ihave had some bargins the best was 8 years ago when i was in kent i got a billings boat the calipso for £20 but i did not have the skills that have now so i sold it on i wish i had kept it now.so i will be building the ship .but after i have finished restoring my revell robert.e.lee paddell steamer.

View attachment 52770

100_0217.jpg

C

Caledonia

Go on build it, you know you want to. You can even go to Dundee and go onboard. There is loads of info available.

DHT - Discovery Point : Great Family Day Out in Dundee, Visit Dundee and Scotland Attractions and see the RRS Discovery and the Verdant Works

I remember going onboard her around 1982 when she was berthed at St. Katherine's Dock in London beside Tower Bridge.

Cheers Derek

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Indeed,she's in Dundee as Derek has said. She was used on the expedition of 1901-1904 which didn't go brilliantly either,though at least everyone (apart from the poor old dogs) survived that time.

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Sad thing is a number of the observations undertaken by the Scott expedition were discredited at the time, and the ones undertaken by Dr William Spencer Bruce in his 1902-04 expedition are still valued by scientists today; yet because his expedition was seen by some as competition to the Scott expedition he received no funding and he never received the recognition he deserved. Hence my posting below. I am still trying to find Plans for the SY Scotia ( Ex Norwegian Sealer/Whaler the Hekla.) Found a photo of the Hekla in Aberdeen harbor when she was purchased from the Norwegians on her way round to Troon, where she was virtually rebuilt. Cheers Derek

View attachment 50072

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/general-boat-chat/16663-s-y-scotia-1902-04-antarctic-expedition.html#post137400

View attachment 52794

Hekla.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I say build it peter , thats what theyre for after all . Think of it this way , if its only worth £20 or so , the enjoyment and satisfaction of building it - thats priceless! cheers tony

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
cheers chaps that will be my next build and i will do it justice . one thing i didn't say when i opened the box i found a full set of sails for the airfix wasa as well???

C

Caledonia

Good man, look forward to seeing this develop. I think with patience it should make a stunning model. Cheers Derek

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
i have started the ship but before i go to far i would like to know what color schemethe ship had is it the one as seen today or the one onthe box lid. and any help with other colors ie: deck color would come i handy for me as i would like to get in spot on

C

Caledonia

Peter have a look at the following YouTube videos, some give external shots and some deck shots. If you google 'photos rrs discovery' you will find lots of references. Cheers Derek

P

Polux

Looks very interesting and good so far.

Keep comming the pics!

Cheers

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Rrs discovery latest pics

here are the latest pics it's almost done just the rigging to go the ratlines that were suppied are the plasic coverd cotton ihave done away with them but they are usful as they will make the rungs on the ratlines.but i won't be putting the sails on.

View attachment 53320

View attachment 53321

100_0239.jpg

100_0238.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good Peter,you are fairly rattling through this one!

Cheers

Steve