Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk IIb 1/72 scale

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hello peeps , heres something I thought I would start while waiting for the filler to harden on another build. This is the new tool Airfix Tomahawk IIb , in this instance the one decal option (Neville Dukes aircraft 112 sqdn ) starter set. My missus picked this up for me at a reduced price as the paintbrush /glue and half the little paints were missing. This will be a build / review as i know a lot of people are keen to see how these new school Airfix kits go together. Anyways heres the box art and a few pics of the instruction sheet and paint guide.

With this being the starter set and possibly aimed at younger modellers, there are only 4 paints provided (well there should be !) - Black , dark earth, azure blue and sand.The problem is that the instructions only give colour call outs using the 4 colours , whether or not this is correct . for example the cockpit interior is given as sand , it should be green , and the wheels tyres and U/C legs are all given as black, they should be silver and azure blue. I know this simplifies it for the young starter , not being told to paint something in a colour thats not provided but it is misleading . The kit itself is in a soft grey plastic and has lovely recessed panel lines and rivets. The interior is quite well done , with detail on the sidewalls and a decal for the instrument panel , more than sufficient as theres no open canopy option.The undercarriage and wheels are nicely done with separate hubs ,bulged tyres and a neat square axle tab that ensures the flats on the tyres are in the right position.

The nose section with its tricky intake on top has been moulded as one piece as has the chin intake, a great solution to the problem of the seam on these features. One thing that could be a slight issue is the very soft plastic and the sometimes very thick sprue attachment points. The previously mentioned nose top section had to be sawn off the sprue !(see pic) The other thing is because the plastic is so soft ,if you try and cut close to the part with sprue cutters it can tear and leave a hole to be filled, so the large lugs have to be sanded back. I think i'm going to enjoy it though, a quick trial fit shows it should go together with no problems. more pics tomorrow, cheers tony

View attachment 75163

View attachment 75164

View attachment 75165

View attachment 75166

View attachment 75167

View attachment 75168

View attachment 75169

View attachment 75170

View attachment 75171

DSCN0060 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0061 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0062 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0063 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0066 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0067 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0068 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0069 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0070 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks nice Tony. I'm always interested to hear about new tool Airfix kits, so, bring on the good news, I hope !

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AlasdairGF

I'm guessing this is essentially the same as the P40 Warhawk from the Dogfight Doubles kit, which I did earlier this year.

Mine came together really nicely, the only bits I got a bit hamfisted over were the canopy panes behind the pilot which I ended up getting glue all over unfortunately, and getting the wheels in place (wheels up version) which was quite a tight fit and the wheels ended up being not quite parallel to the wing surface. Other than that, a great build, hope it goes as well or better for you!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I started on the interior yesterday , after a bit of research i found the colour was a green ,similar to Zinc chromate so off we went. The detail on the sidewalls and floor was picked out , and the seat had a sutton type harness fashioned from strips of tamiya tape - not quite eduard but under a closed canopy it'll do! The Instrument panel has the rudder pedals and rear of the guns moulded to it and is finished with a nice decal , again perfectly acceptable under a closed canopy. Ive glued the fuselage together and the fit is very nice, the only bit of filler I think i'm going to need is where the sprue gate left a tear when i snipped it off. The cockpit is all fixed to the lower wing and goes up into the fuselage later.heres some pics, cheers tony

View attachment 75198

View attachment 75199

View attachment 75200

View attachment 75201

DSCN0083 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0084 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0085 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0087 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice little kit, Alan sent me the U-96 sub, that is a starter kit, with four paints, although for some reason there was only three-the blister was sealed so I know Alan hadn't nicked it before posting.

Looks like you have made a great start Tony.

Si:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
heres the latest progress. The fuselage went together no problems and the separate nose and chin did too , just needing holding in place with tape till the glue set.After cleaning up the fuselage seams the wings were attached, again just needing a bit of tape to hold them in position .The fit so far has been great with just a smear of vallejo acrylic putty needed on the wing joints then a wipe off with the Mk 1 finger leaving a recessed line identical to the rest of the panel lines.The tailplanes fitted so well they dont need anything further doing to them,and the rudder is a separate item so I think I may have this slightly deflected to add a bit of interest. Ive dipped the transparencies in Klear and they really are crystal clear , just a bit of care will be needed when removing from the sprue , especially the frameless side pieces!

View attachment 75372

View attachment 75373

View attachment 75374

View attachment 75375

View attachment 75376

View attachment 75377

DSCN0122 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0123 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0124 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0125 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0127 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0128 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking good, nice build, nice Airfix quality. I've always like the look of the P40, even if it wasn't a favourite with the pilots.

T

T. van Vuuren

Good stuff Tony!

Your review has just convinced me to see if I can find one !

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Do you know if this is the same kit as the Airfix P-40b just with RAF markings?

Theuns

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I think it is Theuns , but in the other boxing its called a Hawk 81-A2 and in the dogfight double with the zero , P40b, cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Not my scale but these new Airfix 1/72 kits have some impressive detail.Especially considering the low price.Are you not tempted to do it in Russian markings Tony?.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Not my scale but these new Airfix 1/72 kits have some impressive detail.Especially considering the low price.Are you not tempted to do it in Russian markings Tony?.
I was very tempted dave , theres a few nice winter camo ones to choose from ,but i thought that as I was trying to do a pretty much OOB review /build I'd use the kit decals. The kit option is a good one though , nice sharks mouth and a great bit of provenance with the Neville Duke connection. cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

No come on Tony. DO a SAAF Western desert plane !! The same camo ar RAF but with orange roundal centres and fin flash LOL

Theuns

P

Paul Daniell

Being new/coming back to modelling me and my 6 year old lad have just done this kit him paint me glue probably not as good as yours Will turn out but not bad little kit.