Airfix DeHaviland Vampire T.11

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I've probably built more Airfix kits in my modeling lifetime than all the other manufacturers put together, as a kid Airfix were synonymous with the entire genera of plastic model kits to me. Since their renaissance a quite few years ago with their bold red boxings I've had mixed feelings about this classic British company, however, this one has been almost unanimously described as a 'gem' so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Another thing I have mixed feeling about Airfix kits is their colour call outs are Humbrol paint numbers without the name of the colour which might be helpful for those who don't particularly favour Humbrol, also previously these colour numbers were prominently listed on the side of the box, I had to search a little to find them on this one, they are there but quite small on the top edge of the box which is printed upside down in reference to the box top?

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-1.jpg

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-2.jpg

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-3.jpg

In regard to the paints required, not including the pilot it's just five, three metals, black and grey, quite a contrast to my last built where there were eighteen colours!

Miko (it may not seem so but I really do like Airfix and maybe half my stash is from this long time historical company )

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Ohh! looking forward to see this coming together. I like the decals, very bright!

Ahhhh, sorry Steve, you're going to be a bit disappointed, I'm not building this one as an inbox version, I'm building it as a T55, an export version of the T11,

Wonder if anyone can guess which one?

Remember plenty of weight in the nose. It's a tail sitter...been there done that.
Check! Thanks Ian

Miko (when it comes to nose weight it means I'll be up on the local church roof again!!. . . . I won't really, not with all that Uranium 235 I've got glowing away in the basement, Ha! )

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I'll be building this one 'old skool' with my diminishing supply of 80's Humbrol Authentic paints which are still good and of a quality Humbrol paints lost about thirty years go, the exception being Revell 9 'Anthracite Grey' which for me is the best tyre colour in the history of the scale modeling universe!

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-8.jpg

The cockpit according to the instructions is matt black everywhere including the seats! After a Google search I found Martin Baker mk3 ejection seats were fitted and painted them accordingly

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-10.jpg

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-9.jpg

Including masking tape seat harnesses

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-6.jpg

The cockpit went together well being well engineered

Miko (nice to build like I did before the last millennium )

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I'll be building this one 'old skool' with my diminishing supply of 80's Humbrol Authentic paints which are still good and of a quality Humbrol paints lost about thirty years go, the exception being Revell 9 'Anthracite Grey' which for me is the best tyre colour in the history of the scale modeling universe!

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-8.jpg

The cockpit according to the instructions is matt black everywhere including the seats! After a Google search I found Martin Baker mk3 ejection seats were fitted and painted them accordingly

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-9.jpg

Including masking tape seat harnesses

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-6.jpg

The cockpit went together well being well engineered

Miko (nice to build like I did before the last millennium )
And he's off!!! I was waiting for 'under starters orders'!!! But no - straight in.
I'll be following along for sure.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
my diminishing supply of 80's Humbrol Authentic paints
I was quite happy that about two months ago, at a model show, I came across a stand selling old Humbrol tins:

img_0785-jpeg.502660

They also had more modern ones, but I carefully avoided anything with a print on the tin that looked newer than about the mid-90s :smiling3:

BTW, in case you want to know approximately how old any given tin is: somebody has made a web site for that.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Be interesting to see how this goes. Looks like a good kit of an interesting subject, and you’ve started well.
I gave all my Humbrol paints away a few months ago. Quite a few early seventies authenticolour paints in there were still as good as the day they were bought. Pity colour drift killed the range really.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I was quite happy that about two months ago, at a model show, I came across a stand selling old Humbrol tins:

img_0785-jpeg.502660

They also had more modern ones, but I carefully avoided anything with a print on the tin that looked newer than about the mid-90s :smiling3:

BTW, in case you want to know approximately how old any given tin is: somebody has made a web site for that.
Production quality definitely went downhill from the early nineties Jakko. The smell got more obnoxious as well.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Production quality definitely went downhill from the early nineties
I generally, if I can, try to avoid Humbrol tins that say “Super Enamel” on them because they changed the formula for those. It’s just like with things such as crisps: as soon as it says “improved taste”, “new formula, same taste” or similar on the packaging, you can probably stop buying them because the taste you like will be gone forever.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I gave all my Humbrol paints away a few months ago.

Whaaaaa!!! why??

Quite a few early seventies authenticolour paints in there were still as good as the day they were bought.

Yep, that's my experience too

Pity colour drift killed the range really.

I'm not sure what that means?

Production quality definitely went downhill from the early nineties Jakko.

No doubt 'Super Enamel' my are. . eye!

The smell got more obnoxious as well.

Again, yes, the smell of older Humbrol paints was reassuringly astringent!! Kinda pleasant in a solvent abuse kinda way?!!?

But now, they've taken all the stuff out that made it good, probably because if you were exposed to it 24 hours a day for six months it 'might' give you a bit of a head ache!! replacing it with something inferior.

Miko (and don't get me started on dull pale coloured sugar free 'Smarties'! I remember when they were vibrant and shiny and tasted good!)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Further progress today, the cockpit fits nicely into the fuselage 'pod' so much so it needs no glue! The instructions suggest fitting the wing root air intakes and 'bifurcated' inlet to the compressor face at this point, but I'm thinking it's probably best to fit at the same time as the upper wing to allow for minor adjustments to close up any gaps

The boom and empennage assembly go together well provided the upper wing part is used as a jig to hold it in the right position while the cement cures.
A surprising amount of mold flash on the booms and landing gear parts for a twelve year old mold, not that it detracts from the finished kit but adds a little more work.

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-11.jpg

I've stuffed a few small steel nails and as much blue tack as I can push into the nose and behind the cockpit ahead of the center of mass forward of the main landing gear to meet the suggested 7grams of anti tail sitter ballast.

Miko (coming along nicely)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
The wing root air intakes and the upper wing went on well with minor shuffling into position, the booms locate nicely while fixing the two lower wing parts which need considerable pinching to locate properly.

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-25.jpg

It seems the dihedral of the wing is a little excessive, once pulled down a bit, this closes the gap between the lower wing parts and the fuselage, I'll do this tomorrow while the rest of the assembly cures, I'm pleasantly surprised there are few gaps to deal with. A remarkable piece of engineering

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-27.jpg
de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-24.jpg

The inner air intake, cockpit and both booms are held with no glue, just pinched by the fuselage structure, while the nose landing gear bay and cannon ports are held by blue tack! this is in case there isn't enough nose ballast

de-Haviland-Vampire-T11-28.jpg

Yes yes, I painted the fuselage and inter boom horizontal tail plane silver just to see what it would look like!

Miko (Should have this one done by tomorrow)

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Office looks good as well as the boom construction

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
THats looking very nice Miko. Humbrol Authentics, I have a couple of those left. Good stuff.
Humbrol made the mistake of moving production of their paints to India. Twice as many for half as much. turned out to be a total fail and they moved back it to the UK.
So the New formlar is the old formular (with a few EU dictated changes).

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Whaaaaa!!! why??

Yep, that's my experience too

I'm not sure what that means?

No doubt 'Super Enamel' my are. . eye!
We did authenticolour here a couple of years ago Miko….

A link originally posted by Jakko explains the colour drift term here

It will also allow you to date your tins ;)

I gave mine away because I hadn’t used any of them (or even opened a tin) for at least five years, and know a good mate that still uses them. He got about a hundred tins, some of which were about fifty years old, some Humbrol thinners and some Phoenix precision quick air drying thinners (which allows them to spray superbly). I know most of them were bought late eighties and early nineties because I used to scratch the purch date on the tin lid with a scriber when I bought them.
I’m not interested in squeezing the last few pence out of my purchases, so didn’t want the hassle of selling them, and my painting techniques have evolved to use Vallejo and Tamiya/Mr Color, so why keep what I didn’t need?