Airfix FIAT G50 1/72 completed pics

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres one ive just finished ,the old airfix FIAT G50 . I got this to do as a quick ,fun build so didnt bother doing a thread as there wasnt supposed to be to much involved , or so I thought!! The first thing that bugged me was the engine cowling , featureless and too open at the front , so off i went , scribing the panel joints and cooling gills and adding all the (many) little bumps from blobs of Kristal Klear applied with a toothpick. the diameter of the front was sorted by gluing a thin strip of plastic card to the edge of the opening ,making it smaller and giving the right look. The cockpit was totally skimped by just painting the kit pilot and sticking him in! the aperture is so small you cant see anything past him! After this all i had to do is assemble and paint it , the only other additions being the scratchbuilt machine guns and the prominent aileron balance horns on the top and bottom of the ailerons , made from stretched sprue. Heres the pics , and I just had to include one of the fantastically evocative box top art , by the maestro himself Roy Cross. Comments criticisms( including if anybody spots what i forgot to do!!)welcome cheers tony

View attachment 54802

View attachment 54803

View attachment 54804

View attachment 54805

View attachment 54806

View attachment 54807

View attachment 54808

View attachment 54809

P1110347 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110348 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110349 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110350 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110351 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110352 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110353 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110355 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

First Name
Dave
Nice build Tony.The only thing I can see that you may have forgotten is the gun sight.Knowing your attention to detail I think this is something you would normal scratch build.Great paint job.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
No its not the gun sight ,on the pictures ive seen of the real thing , the gunsight isnt readily apparent -maybe it was a ring and bead or something on the windscreen? see pic here http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Livio_Bassi_sul_suo_FIAT_G50_Freccia.jpg the only thing i did with the cockpit was stick the man in! The thing i forgot was to highlight the control surfaces hinge lines with a dark wash, oh well ,it was meant to be a quickie anyway! cheers chaps , tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I reckon it looks fantatsic Tony, that camouflage job is really neat.

C

CDW

Not bad, for what you say is a undetailed kit, not bad at all Tony :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You just had to fiddle, didn't you?

Good job too mucker, you'd never get away without doing summat.....!

This is one very nice aircraft and good to see something different...which we always get from the yakface stable.

Big 5..

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another little gem Tony. *****

I take it as you have the box that this is one of your more expensive buys? Most of the kits you seem to buy are just bags of bits from the shows! :lol

Gern

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice one Tony. A little gem.

Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks everyone , i really enjoyed this one , and dave, it had a box but i still got it cheap off e-bay cause it didnt have a canopy!, but luckily its only a simple small affair so i was able to alter one from the spares box, cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This looks great Tony,

Nice paint job. Fiat - not really a name I associate with a/c, but there you go !

Colin M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks colin , yes theyve been making aircraft nearly as long as theyve been making cars (which is over 100 years!) cheers tony